cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikstik UART

Jump to solution
dspNeil
Contributor III

I'm just getting started with my K40 Kwikstik in CW10.1, and do not have a tower system.  I've tried running several of the demos, and have been successful at building the MQX libraries to get the demos to debug and execute, however when I probe the UART5 TPs (which I believe are ttyf in software), I see no communication.  I have also tried switching the BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL to "ttye:", which should be UART4 (the CAN TPs on the Kwikstik), and have probed these with a scope as well with no success.  What am I missing?  The demo I'm currently trying is the "io_kwikstikk40x256", and it builds successfully after enabling ttya and ttyb.

I also debugged to see that Hardware flow control is not being used, however I also can't figure out where this is set in the software.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dspNeil
Contributor III

And the solution:

On the KwikStik-K40 V5 board, the silk screen labels for UART5 TX and RTS are REVERSED!  As soon as I moved my probe over to the RTS pin, I saw the serial data screaming across as it should.

From continuity checking my KwikStik V5:

TP labeled as "RTS" is connected to pin A44 of the tower connector "PTE8/UART_TX".

TP labeled as "TX" is connected to pin B21 of the tower connector "PTE7/UART_RTS".

TP labeled as "RX" is correctly connected to pin A43 of the tower connector "PTE9/UART_RX".

TP labeled as "CTS" is correctly connected to pin A9 of the tower connector "PTE10/UART_CTS".

I assumed by V5 of a board, Freescale would have the basics checked out, and that a non-functioning port would be my own software mistake.  I am still assuming this was my issue with UART4 as well...  Maybe I'm wrong?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dspNeil
Contributor III

Some more information:

I have verified that the output pins still work by using the LWGPIO, and simply toggling the bits.

Additionally, to eliminate flow control as an issue (since I'm not connected to a serial level shifter or other device), I set:

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_OPEN_MODE       (pointer) (IO_SERIAL_RAW_IO)

0 Kudos
dspNeil
Contributor III

And the solution:

On the KwikStik-K40 V5 board, the silk screen labels for UART5 TX and RTS are REVERSED!  As soon as I moved my probe over to the RTS pin, I saw the serial data screaming across as it should.

From continuity checking my KwikStik V5:

TP labeled as "RTS" is connected to pin A44 of the tower connector "PTE8/UART_TX".

TP labeled as "TX" is connected to pin B21 of the tower connector "PTE7/UART_RTS".

TP labeled as "RX" is correctly connected to pin A43 of the tower connector "PTE9/UART_RX".

TP labeled as "CTS" is correctly connected to pin A9 of the tower connector "PTE10/UART_CTS".

I assumed by V5 of a board, Freescale would have the basics checked out, and that a non-functioning port would be my own software mistake.  I am still assuming this was my issue with UART4 as well...  Maybe I'm wrong?

0 Kudos
kdz
Contributor I

Hi Neil ,

So you were successful at everything?

I downloaded the demo code, MQX, added MQX patches, updated CW10.1,  and build the code.....did everything per the demo lab document (0.4).

I got close but no cigar as they say.

Something appears not to be built right? Definitely,  problems arise when I do the final "Run Debug Configurations",.... Did you do anything special?   I'm building on WInXP.

Thanks for any info.

-Kevin 314-546-9624

0 Kudos