AnsweredAssumed Answered

Installing drivers for Tech Arts USBDMLT  -- seemed to have bricked it

Question asked by James Smith on Oct 4, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 by James Smith

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Technological Arts USBDMLT running on a Windows XP (running as a virtual machine on a Mac).  I seem to have bricked the USBDMLT in the process.  Any help in figuring out what I did wrong would be much appreciated.

Here's what I did:

* I found out that the USB VID was 15A2 and PID was 0021, requiring the use of the Installation of "USBDM USB drivers for old VID/PID" instructions on the SourceForge page (http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.6/USBDM_JS16/html/driver_page.html)

* I removed the older driver that I had tried installing yesterday through the Windows control panel and then used zadig.exe to install the WinUSB driver.

* That seemed to work fine. Zadig logged the following:
ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used 
1 device found. 
libwdi:info [detect_version] Windows XP 
1 device found. 
program assertion failed - editable_desc != NULL 
Using inf name: USB_Device.inf 
Succesfully extracted driver files. 
Installing driver. Please wait... 
libwdi:info [extract_binaries] successfully extracted driver files to C:\usb_driver 
libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] succesfully created C:\usb_driver\USB_Device.inf 
Driver Installation: SUCCESS 
1 device found.
* After a reboot of the computer I decided to update the flash as per the instructions on the Tech Arts webpage (http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=572 --> Details tab).  This meant using the "JS16" firmware, so  I used the Win32/Bootloader.exe application and loaded up USBDM_Flash_Images/JS16/USBDM_JS16CWJ_V4.abs.s19
* Bootloader.exe reported "Firmware Update Failed" and now the USBDMLT flashes its LED once per second and Windows no longer recognizes a new device when I plug it in.
My virtual machine application, Parallels, reported that the USBDMLT was a "USBDM(JMxx) Version 3.2" when it connected to WinXP.  It nolonger detects the USBDMLT either.  Would flashing the USBDMLT with JS16 firmware instead of JM16 firmware be responsible for the bricking?
Thanks!
James

Outcomes