cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFV1 Flash Programmer Standalone ?

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi all, and particularly PGO if you see this message,

I'm working with CFV1 Flash Programmer on my computer to load program in Coldfire V1 devices (MCF51JM128). It works fine on my own computer, but I would like to install it on another one. I simply copied the "Utilities" directory provided by PGO on the second computer, but it doesn't work at all.

CodeWarrior and CodeSourcery are installed on the first machine, but not on the other one. I conclude that some files in the CodeWarrior or CodeSourcery directories are required to get CFV1 Flash Programmer running, right ?

Is it possible to get a standalone CFV1 Flash Programmer ? Which files are required to do it ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Joel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joel,

the programmers don't need anything from Codewarrior but they do need the device files to be installed to %APPDATA%/usbdm.  The installation batch file does this.

Unfortunately the installation batch file assumes codewarrior is installed and gives an error message if not.

Attached is an installation file that should install the required files (it still gives an error about not finding Codewarrior).

Replace the existing file in the installation directory.

bye

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi PGO,

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that there were files in the AppData directory, but maybe I miss something when I have tried to copy those files. I wil ltry again soon and tell you the result, but it should be OK !

Just for my personnal information : why those files are in the AppData directory ? Why not with the CFV1 Flash Programmer application ? Is it to get the possibility to have different files for the different users (really useful ?) ?

Best Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joel,

The directory is used to store the per-user last used settings for the programmers etc.

It also is a central location to keep the device files which are used by various programs and DLLs.  It would be undesirable to have a copy in each location.  The later could be system wide but it would not be a big advantage unless there are multiple users.

The utilities used to operate stand-alone (they look for the device files in the executable directory as well)  but this was broken with the re-arranged installation folder.  You can try copying the device_data folder contents (including sub-directories) into the utilties folder and the device files should be found without the need to install.

bye

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi PGO,

I tried to run CFV1 Flash Programmer copying the files in the AppData directory, but it doesn't work...

Here is the situation :

- In "C:\Documents and Settings\Joël\Application Data\usbdm", I have files : "cfv1_devices.xml", "hcs08_devices.xml", "hcs12_devices.xml", "JTAG_Devices.cfg", "rs08_devices.xml" and "usbdmDeviceSchema.dtd".

- In a folder in Program Files directory (or any other place in fact), I copied files "CFV1_FlashProgrammer.exe", "libusb-1.0.dll", "libxerces-c-3-1.dll" and "usbdm.4.dll".

When I run CFV1 Flash Programmer application, it is launched (I can see it in the Task Manager), but with no window, and after some few seconds, the application ends. I sometimes have an error message saying that the application crashed.

I forget to give my configuration : Windows XP SP2.

Any ideas ? Is there special requirements to run the flasher ? .NET Framework ?

Thank a lot for your help and for the job you have done on the USBDM !

Best Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

EDIT:

In "C:\Documents and Settings\Joël\Application Data\usbdm", I have files : "arm_devices.xml", "cfv1_devices.xml", "cfvx_devices.xml", "hcs08_devices.xml", "hcs12_devices.xml", "JTAG_Devices.cfg", "rs08_devices.xml" and "usbdmDeviceSchema.dtd". I have also directories: "Arm", "CFV1", "CFVx".

I copied those files by hand because your batch file to not work ("device_data" is not known...).

I wondered if it was not because of special characters in the path (for example "ë"), So I copied all those files on another computer (Windows 2003 Server) in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data\usbdm", but I get the same result: the flasher is launched in the task manager but with no window, and it ends after some few seconds.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Edit again:

I tried on other computers, and I can see exactly the same : CFV1 Flash Programmer is launched and closed after some few seconds in the task manager, but no window displayed.

I had a look to the events recorded by Windows, and I get two errors about the CFV1 Flash Programmer application :

- Error 1000 (application error) : an error occured in the DLL "C:\Win32\Utilities\libxerces-c-3-1.dll". The error code is 1D.

- Error 1005 (application error), immediatly after the first one, indicating that an error occured with the application CFV1 Flash Programmer. I suppose it is due to the first error.

Does somebody allready get something like that ? PGO, what do you think about this error ? Is is possible to debug something ?

Thank you very much for any information and help.

Best Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joel,

The XML parser DLL (xerces) throws exceptions on ANY XML parsing error.  Unfortunately MinGW-GCC doesn't handle catching C++ exceptions across DLL (or at least I can't make it do so).  This means that if the XML parsing fails for any reason you get a silent crash as you have seen.

The cause of the above is that the XML files are not found.  In particular the files referenced from the XML are not found since missing top-level files are checked for by the programmer before parsing.

You should be able to use the programmer stand-alone by following the directions outlined earlier:

You can try copying the device_data folder contents (including sub-directories) into the Utilties folder and the device files should be found without the need to install.

I tried this on a couple of machines at it seemed to work OK.  I'm unsure why this isn't working for you. Could you check that you have the subdirectories ARM, CFV1, CFVx and the xxxx_devices.xml files in the same directory as the executables?  Note the folders NOT the folder contents as the structure is important.

In any case, I'll modify the next release so that they execute from the Utility directory without any changes but this won't be released for a while.

bye

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi PGO,

Thanks for your reply. I understand now why it is crashing like that.

In order to not introduce some other problems, I kept the folder structure you give on SourceForge. The CFV1 Flash Programmer application is in the Utilities folder, and there are the XML files in the same directory. I haven't modify anything in the files.

I understand that I can copy the folder "device_data" and its content in the utility folder, but where is the "device_data" folder ? I haven't found it .... is it on SourceForge in one of the available archive ? Which files I should found in this folder ?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joel,

Sorry for the confusion.

I keep a copy of the uploaded files but it seems that I've accidently updated it so it's inconsistent with the posted version (overwritten with V4.7 structure).

For version 4.6a (as posted on sourceforge)

The executable files in USBDM_Win32_4_6a\Win32\Utilities should run without ANY changes as all the device files and DLLs are present in that directory (or subdirectories).

For the CFV1 programmer the required files are (from memory - not checked, see below):

Device Files: cfv1_devices.xml, CFV1 (directory)

Executable: CFV1_FlashProgrammer.exe, libxerces-c-3-1.dll, usbdm.4.dll, usbdmTCL.4.dll, usbdm-arm.4.dll, libusb-1.0.dll, tcl85.dll

You would also need to install the device drivers.

Tested as follows:

• Copied entire Utilities directory & Drivers directory to a USB Stick.
  • Moved to 'pristine' machine and plugged in USB Stick.
  • Plugged in USBDM & when prompted (WINXP-32),  installed the drivers from Drivers directory (on stick).
  • Run CFV1_Programmer from Utilties directory (on stick) .

bye

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi PGO,

Thanks for your reply. I tried again, I have run CFV1 Flash Programmer from the Utilities directory without any modification (I downloaded again the archive file from Sourceforge to be sure), but it still fails. I get the same error.

I tried on several computers, and the only one on which CFV1 Flash Programmer is running is the one on which I have CodeSourcery and CodeWarrior installed.

Compatiblity issue ?

I can wait for version 4.7, maybe its better.....

Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos