Where to buy Tower Plug-in (TWRPI) female connectors?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy Tower Plug-in (TWRPI) female connectors?

bobf
Contributor III

I'm new to the Tower System. May anyone please let me know what kind of of female connectors match with male Tower Plug-in (TWRPI) sockets, and where to buy them? I cannot find such information in user's manuals come with Kinetis kits. I need access signals in TWRPI sockets.

On page 4 of  KwikStik-K40 Hardware Errata pdf document (attached), there is picture of a

TWRPI board with female connectors. Does Freescale sale such board for prototyping?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies

mnorman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, bobf,

All the Tower Plug-ins (General Purpose, Touch Pad, and Touch Sense) use a Samtec TFC series (or equivalent):

http://www.samtec.com/ProductInformation/TechnicalSpecifications/Overview.aspx?series=TFC

Specifically on the KwikStik, Pounce used a TFC-110-02-L-D-A. 

The mating connector Freescale uses for the TFC is the SFC series (or equivalent):

http://www.samtec.com/ProductInformation/TechnicalSpecifications/Overview.aspx?series=SFC

For instance on the TWRPI-SLCD uses SFC-110-T2-L-D-A-K.

There isn't a standard product that provides a proto board TWRPI, but we have it on our short list for a new product.  We will be productizing several TWRPIs that were part of the TWR-SENSOR-PAK and some new sensor based TWRPIs as well.  

-mnorman

0 Kudos

barbercolman
Contributor III

Any chance the TWRPI proto will make it to production?

0 Kudos

bobf
Contributor III

Hi mnorman,

Thanks a lot for the information! Besides the proto boards you mentioned (it takes time to productize), it's be convenient if the mating connectors can be ordered directly from Freescale when ordering tower kits (this might be done quickly).

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

An alternative TWRPI connector is from Major League electronics:

http://mlelectronics.com/products/pcb-connectors/050-x-050-centerline-pcb-connectors/

• Product Number: PSSHSM-5-D
  • Polarized shrouded socket
  • Pitch: .050″ x .050″
  • Pins per row: 05-50
  • Surface mount
  • Dual row
  • Straight
  • Termination Type: PCB
0 Kudos

bobf
Contributor III

BTW, simlar things also applies to the PCI edge connector. For most of users, the Tower system probably works fine. But it's too bulky for applications which require light weight and smaller size. It'd be nice that Freescale also provides alternatives like PCI edge breakout board for prototyping or simply providing PCI mating connectors in the online store. If you know part number of PCI mating connector ( or digikey part number), please let me know. I had hard time to locate it.

Thanks,

bobf 

0 Kudos

ajc2005
Contributor I

I totally agree! It would be nice to have a breakout of ePCIx16 into 0.1" pins for easy breadboarding.

0 Kudos