Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

environment mystery

Jump to solution
rlw
Contributor I

I am using CW 5.0 for S12X.

One of the tools that came with CW is maker.exe, which I use to run my own make files. I am encountering some kind of environmental issue that eludes me and my co-workers. Since the issue involves a 3rd party IDE, I first tried posting to their forum. Noone their was able to help. Maybe someone here might have an useful idea.

My make file is included as an attachment to this post. (I had to change the extension from .mak to .txt to get it accepted by the forum system, here.)

I used the following to invoke the make file from the directory it resides in:

C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\maker.exe "Pod.mak" all

When I run this command from a Wondows Cmd prompt, nothing happens, not even any error messages. Nothing gets compiled, linked or otherwise built.

When I run this command from inside the 3rd IDE, it works as expected, compiling all the source files and linking the ABS file, which I can then successfuly program into my target and successfully run.

I have carefully compared the 2 environments, including using the set command to list the values of all the environment variebles. I even tried setting all the environment variables set within the IDE's command shell, but even that did not get the make file to run as expected.

At this point, I am considering porting my make file to another version of make and using that instead of maker.exe, but I would really prefer to get this working with maker.exe

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
NavidadRedivivu
Contributor III

Maker.exe is probably issuing errors so that is why you can't get your project built. This tool (in fact all the build tools from Freescale for S12/S08/RS08) does _not_ dump any output when ran from the command line. To be frank I don't know why this is so, but anyway. To get the output you can use the piper utility, located in the same folder as maker.exe (CW_INSTALL\prog). Just prefix your command line with piper.exe. In your case, this would be:

C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\piper.exe C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\maker.exe "Pod.mak" all

An alternative would be using the maker GUI. Simply launch maker.exe with no arguments (or double click it) and provide your command in the command bar.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rlw
Contributor I

Thank you to you both.

The interesting thing is that not only did this work, there were no errors. For some reason, maker.exe just does not like being invoked in the "bare" cmd shell.

0 Kudos
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

use:

C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\piper.exe C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\maker.exe "Pod.mak" all

Using piper.exe first will show the output of the maker.exe in cmd.exe

Daniel

0 Kudos
NavidadRedivivu
Contributor III

Maker.exe is probably issuing errors so that is why you can't get your project built. This tool (in fact all the build tools from Freescale for S12/S08/RS08) does _not_ dump any output when ran from the command line. To be frank I don't know why this is so, but anyway. To get the output you can use the piper utility, located in the same folder as maker.exe (CW_INSTALL\prog). Just prefix your command line with piper.exe. In your case, this would be:

C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\piper.exe C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior_for_S12X_V5_0\Prog\maker.exe "Pod.mak" all

An alternative would be using the maker GUI. Simply launch maker.exe with no arguments (or double click it) and provide your command in the command bar.

0 Kudos