AnsweredAssumed Answered

My experiences with the Deluxe USBDM

Question asked by Laurence Babcock on Jan 6, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 by Laurence Babcock

First, many thanks to all of the USBDM contributors.  The BDM is a very nice tool.  I built the "deluxe" version of the USBDM as follows: I ported the schematics into Eagle.  Because I build my projects using toner transfer I spread the board out some (Vias beneath a chip are hard to do).   Compressing is possible but because it's a standalone it's not worth the time to me.  I used the 64 pin version of the JM60 'cause I have some on hand.  I loaded on the latest firmware and tested it with TesterApp.  I found that while the testerApp would find the BDM when it started the Selection dialogue would not.  I had to rebuild the App.  Then I found that the BDM would not sync with the target MC51JM128 (again with the TesterApp) because the BKGD (U4D pin 11) was not below the spec.  To correct I removed the output from U3B (TRST*O). TesterApp now works well.  I then built an target board similar to the JM60 USB dongle using the MC51JM128 with the CMX stack.  Now, the Selection dialogue in the Hiwave debugger fails to detect the device.  Again, a rebuild corrects the problem.  I am able to load and debug the target quite nicely.  And, the infwizard sees my device after only a small amount of debugging and I'm feeling pretty proud.  Pride is a deadly sin, for I quickly find that while the Device Manager knows about my device and the CMX stack says it's in the configured state, libusb0, at least a seen through testlibUSB or my host side code, does not.  Does anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting?  As noted on the project website, HIwave debugger crashes on every exit, necessitating unplugging/replugging the BDM.  Any hope for a fix?  My development system is so ancient (XP sp 3) that the Eclipse based Codewarrior IDE is not a realistic option.

Again, my thanks and compliments

Outcomes