cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kinetics k40 and IAR

Jump to solution
harrys
Contributor I

i use example code for kinetics k40 in IAR workbench, when i debug, it always say "can not connect J-link via USB.

why?

i have kinetic k40 , connected to laptop via USB and OSBDM is working fine.

thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I can also chime in on this. To use OSJTAG, you must have IAR 6.10 installed. If you have an earlier version, then you'll need an external debugger like the JLink.

Also the sample code projects are created in IAR 6.10, so opening the projects up in IAR 5.50 corrupts some project settings.

OSJTAG is very similiar in features to OSBDM. The reason the name is different is because Kinetis uses JTAG for the debugging interface, while Coldfire uses BDM. There is no "BDM" on Kinetis, so it'd be confusing to call it that for Kinetis. But the same general ideas apply, but the drivers are different. 

You choose to use OSJTAG in an IAR proejct by right clicking on the project name and selecting Options. Then go to the "Debugger" category, and on the "Setup" tab, under "Driver", select "PE micro". To use a Jlink instead, select "J-Link/J-Trace".

Finally if you are using IAR 6.1 and still having OSJTAG or programming problems, you can look at both the Kinetis Quick Reference Guide (Appendix A): http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf

and Chapter 8 of the MQX Quick Start Demo Lab: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/support_info/TWRK40X256QSDLAB.zip

Thanks for trying out Kinetis!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WayneDuq
Contributor I

I am running the same configuration, and get the same results.

From what I am able to tell, the current IAR (6.1) only supports flash/debug

via a (Segger) J-Link connected to the JTAG header (0.05" pin version) on the top of the K40 board.

If you closely view the videos showing IAR working with the K60/K40 boards, you

will notice the Yellow IAR J-Trace debugger has a cable going into the 0.05" JTAG

connector on the top of the Kinetis CPU board.

Ditto for Code-Sourcery's IDE using G++/GCC - they only currently support J-Link, not OSBDM.

The only product that I can see that uses the OSBDM directly is Code Warrior.

But the official CW MCU 10.1 release is still in Beta,

and requires special authorization from a Freescale or Arrow/Avnet FAE

to get access to it.

Note: If you have a "stock" J-Link with the 0.1" header connector, you can purchase an

adapter cable from Segger which will convert the 0.1" connector to the newer, smaller 0.05" JTAG headers

used on all the Kinetis Tower boards.

0 Kudos
harrys
Contributor I

Thank you.

It sounds right.

But when I attended the seminar by arrow and freescale  and asked them, they said only usb connection is enough , they showed the demo using IAR and OSBDM.

The only thing I can think now is I am using an evaluation version of IAR 5.4, and I can't get updated to 6.1.

However, you said even 6.1 doesn't work at all, then how arrow guys did that?

0 Kudos
WayneDuq
Contributor I

I just attended the Avnet seminar on Kinetis.

Using IAR 6.0 or IAR 6.1, the K40 and K60 can be debugged via two different ways:

- Segger (or IAR) JTAG, using 19-pin 0.05" adapter plugged into JTAG connector on top of processor board.

- OSJTAG using the PEmicro OSJTAG drivers (downloadable off the K40 web downloads),

and then tweak the IAR debugger to use PEmicro on Device1. (It will appear as a "Libusb"

device under Windows Device manager.)

Note that OSJTAG is not the same as OSBDM, so you have to use the PEmicro OSJTAG drivers.

Trying to use OSBDM won't work on the K40/K60 boards.

The downside on using OSJTAG, is that it is s-l-o-w.  On small executables, it is not

too noticeable. But on large 100-200K exe's, it is very noticeable.

As far as IAR 6.1 not working for you, it sounds like an install issue.

I am running both IAR 5.40 and IAR 6.1 (Kick-start edition), on Windows XP Pro SP2

as well as on Windows 7 Pro (64-bit).

But I specifically installed them into separate directories, by using the change directory

option during install. I have not had any problems with them co-existing.

The only other thing I could think of, is if there is some kind of PATH problem in your environment. variables

The 32-K limit on the IAR Kickstart is sufficient to do simple projects (ADC, DAC, simple DSP, ...).

As far as CodeSourcery, both the Personal Edition and Standard edition (Fall 2010 editions)

work just fine with the (Segger) JTAG with the 19-pin 0.05" adapter.

CodeSourcery does not support OSJTAG at this point.

0 Kudos
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I can also chime in on this. To use OSJTAG, you must have IAR 6.10 installed. If you have an earlier version, then you'll need an external debugger like the JLink.

Also the sample code projects are created in IAR 6.10, so opening the projects up in IAR 5.50 corrupts some project settings.

OSJTAG is very similiar in features to OSBDM. The reason the name is different is because Kinetis uses JTAG for the debugging interface, while Coldfire uses BDM. There is no "BDM" on Kinetis, so it'd be confusing to call it that for Kinetis. But the same general ideas apply, but the drivers are different. 

You choose to use OSJTAG in an IAR proejct by right clicking on the project name and selecting Options. Then go to the "Debugger" category, and on the "Setup" tab, under "Driver", select "PE micro". To use a Jlink instead, select "J-Link/J-Trace".

Finally if you are using IAR 6.1 and still having OSJTAG or programming problems, you can look at both the Kinetis Quick Reference Guide (Appendix A): http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf

and Chapter 8 of the MQX Quick Start Demo Lab: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/support_info/TWRK40X256QSDLAB.zip

Thanks for trying out Kinetis!

0 Kudos
cesario
Contributor I

Hi amh,

So, the freescale's OSBDM and USBDM support Kinetis now? Can I program and debug a k20 device with this open source tool?

Do you know any limitation?

Thanks,

0 Kudos