Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Free Memory

Jump to solution
rdazcal
Contributor III

Greetings,

Is there a reason for MQX not having a function to let me know how much free RAM memory it has?

I can't use MQX CodeWarior plugins since mine is a Basic version.

I'm using "_mem_get_highwater()", but if I understood correctly (I looked into the source code), it gives me the address of the highest allocated memory (which helps a bit), but as far as I know, this allocated memory could consume the whole RAM...

I noticed in the source a "_mem_get_size()", but it does not seem to be implemented.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is one reason, why it is not implemented. Getting the size of free memory does not tell anything about if I can allocate some memory. Just for clarification, there can be 1 block of 1024 Bytes free or 128 blocks of 8 Bytes free spread over the whole heap, both situations return the same result of _mem_get_free.

There is another particular reason (which you can accept or nor) that when the call is not synchronized in multitask application by the user, he will not get right result (because immediatelly after evaluating a result, another task can allocate memory).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is one reason, why it is not implemented. Getting the size of free memory does not tell anything about if I can allocate some memory. Just for clarification, there can be 1 block of 1024 Bytes free or 128 blocks of 8 Bytes free spread over the whole heap, both situations return the same result of _mem_get_free.

There is another particular reason (which you can accept or nor) that when the call is not synchronized in multitask application by the user, he will not get right result (because immediatelly after evaluating a result, another task can allocate memory).

0 Kudos