CodeWarrior Vers. 5.9.0 Unable to Connect to P2020E Development Board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior Vers. 5.9.0 Unable to Connect to P2020E Development Board

raycope
Contributor I

Hello, we just received a P2020E development board with CodeWarrior Vers. 5.9.0 CD.  I was able to install the CD successfully on my Linux workstation, and startup, initialize CodeWarrior for my project using the USB JTAG connection.  However, when I try to connect my project to the development board, I get the following error message:

"CCSProtocolPlugin:CCS:Core not supported"

I did some research on Google and am getting some hints that possibly my version of CW is not compatible with the P2020E development board, but that's just a guess.  If that's the case, it's quite a surprise as the CD came packaged with the P2020E development board.  However, I am still guessing that this version does not support the P2020E with a E500 core.

Thanks for helping me confirm or reject the SW compatibility assumption.  If an update is required, how do I identify the correct version and what is the procedure for updating on Linux (Centos 5.4 distro)?  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for that, if necessary.

Regard, Ray Copeland

Violin Memory Systems

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

raycope
Contributor I

Sorry I found out I was wrong about the CodeWarrior version.  Vers. 5.9.0 is from CW help is for ??? and does not match the SW version.  I verified my SW version is 8.8 and I applied the Vers. 8.8.3 patch for Linux PPC, per advice from Freescale support.

Unfortunately, now the connect problem is even worse than before.  Now instead of getting the message "CCSProtocolPlugin:CCS:Core not supported", I simply get "Unknown protocol error".  What does this mean?  It seems like the Linux host is not even able to communicate over the USB port to the USB TAB JTAG probe, but that's just a guess.  What could the problem be?

Thanks for any hints, clues advice.

Ray Copeland

Violin Memory Systems

0 Kudos

ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ray,

First, make sure you also have the CodeWarrior Power Architecture 8.8 Service Pack 1 for P2020, 8572, 8315 & 8569(Linux-hosted) installed from the CodeWarrior Downloads page.  Then if this problem continues you can help determine where it lies by launching the ccs executable (/usr/local/Freescale/CodeWarrrior/ccs/bin/ccs) then entering these commands at the Console prompt:

source IDcode.tcl

1  <--- to select the USB TAP

scanboard

This sequence will test the connection to the USB TAP, and then the connection to your board.  If you don't get any errors then your USB TAP is functioning properly.  Let's see what happens.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos

lplessard
Contributor I

I have tried the procedure listed by ronco.

I get the following error : "USB open failure".

What should I do?

0 Kudos

ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sounds like a USB TAP driver installation problem on your Linux machine.  Take a look at the "Readme" file in your /usr/local/EPPC_8.8/CodeWarriorIDE/ccs/drivers/usb   folder (also attached here) and compare its recommendations against your machine's setup.  Also, as a quick-test shortcut, launch the ccs executable in /usr/local/EPPC_8.8/CodeWarriorIDE/ccs/bin  as root then run the CCS commands in that instance of the CCS Console.  But that should be a test only.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos

lplessard
Contributor I

I have been seeing the ""USB open failure" error on Windows XP with Codewarrior 8.8.

Is there a similar fix for this problem on Windows XP?

thanks for your help

0 Kudos

ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As a matter of fact there is: check out the 'readme.txt' in your C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior PA V8.8\ccs\drivers\usb  folder.  Follow the instructions and that should do it.

But if not then try using a different USB port on your computer -- not all are configured the same.  And if you're using a USB hub make sure it's a powered hub.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos