cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be any Windows CE support for the KINETIS family

Jump to solution
kiiid
Contributor I

I was very impressed by the new KINETIS family - low pin count M4 (!!!) and well packed inside. It would be interesting to know if there will be Windows CE support for those any time soon, especially the low-end family members.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
richardparker
Contributor I

There is no MMU on the Kinetis parts so they are unable to support WinCE or full blown Linux. You could use uCLinux but I am not aware of a similar cut down version of WinCE (although I'm sure someone will correct me here). If you need WinCE and a non BGA package I think the options are limited. As you say the iMX233 would fit the bill. If you are able to use MQX then I think that, along with Kinetis, there is a good alternative.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
clangen
Contributor I

Hi,

to be more precise: I'm not sure if the Kinetis M4 cores have an MMU (memory manage unit) on board to support virtual memory. This is necessary to use the libc library to compile for Linux. Otherwise you would have to use uCLinux. (uC = micro controller), see; http://www.uclinux.org/ . I guess the M4 only has a MPU (memory protection unit): The requirement of an MMU is probably valid for Windows CE as well.

So look for ann MMU if you want to figure out if a processor is supported for Linux/Windows.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
kiiid
Contributor I

Thank you Christian. I will have another look.

i.MX28 is not a good option for me, but i.MX23 might be. It is the lowest pin count one supporting WinCE that I could find and I generally avoid using BGA in my designs. Also for my purposes I don't need a built-in video controller nor the audio support, just something small that is capable of running the WinCE.

Anyway, thanks again.

0 Kudos
richardparker
Contributor I

There is no MMU on the Kinetis parts so they are unable to support WinCE or full blown Linux. You could use uCLinux but I am not aware of a similar cut down version of WinCE (although I'm sure someone will correct me here). If you need WinCE and a non BGA package I think the options are limited. As you say the iMX233 would fit the bill. If you are able to use MQX then I think that, along with Kinetis, there is a good alternative.

0 Kudos
clangen
Contributor I

Hi,

probably WinCE won't run on Kinetis due to the limited resources of the M4 core. IMHO Kinetis is a 'substitute' for small microcontrollers (even if the M4 is a 32bit ARM architecture). I asked myself the same question when considering Kinetis for network applications.

If you intend to run WinCE on a small footprint the recent i.MX28x (or any other i.MX processor) could be an option, see:  http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=0162468rH31143ZrDRA24A

They have both Linux and WinCE BSPs and are intended for use with an OS.

Hope that helps

Christian

0 Kudos
vladimirkhusain
Contributor III

clangen wrote:
IMHO Kinetis is a 'substitute' for small microcontrollers (even if the M4 is a 32bit ARM architecture). I asked myself the same question when considering Kinetis for network applications.

K70 provides a 120/150MHz M4 core with 1MB of very fast embedded Flash, fast interface to high-density external RAM and 2x 16KB on-chip caches (16KB of cache total).

From our experience of running uClinux on K70 (check this page) ,  Linux (uClinux) runs very well on K70. Fast boot-up and quite responsive overall.

We have ported a Linux framebuffer driver to K70 and are now working on enabling Qt/Embedded.  It will be interesting to see how well Qt runs on K70. It is a powerful GUI library but it also consumes a lot of memory and CPU bandwidth.

Overall though, I would say that with K70 you can do much more than what is possible using a smallish 8- or 16-bit microcontoller.  

0 Kudos