AnsweredAssumed Answered

Writing all-assembly functions -- syntax, parameter passing, return value

Question asked by Tom Collins on Aug 13, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 by bigmac

I want to write an assembly version of this function:

uint16_t intel16_asm( uint16_t value);

Looking at the assembly generated for a C version of that function, it would appear that return address is passed in H:X, the parameter is on the stack (SP+1 holds MSB, SP+2 holds LSB) and the return is expected in H:X.  So, I came up with the following assembly to swap the byte order:

PSHX            ; push return addressPSHH LDHX 4, SP      ; load LSB of parameter to H, junk to XLDX 3, SP       ; load MSB of parameter to XRTS             ; return

So what syntax should I use to create this function?  Can I mark it as inline and have the compiler inline the assembly so it loads a 16-bit value into H:X and then does the PSHH PSHX PULH PULX sequence to swap the byte order?

I tried doing:

uint16_t intel16_asm( uint16_t value){ asm {  PSHH  PSHX  PULH  PULX  RTS }}

But then I get a warning because the function doesn't return.  Is it even safe to use RTS in the assembly?  If I take the RTS out, how do I indicate to the compiler that the return value is already loaded in H:X?  How do I tell the compiler not to push the return address for me?

If I want to write the 32-bit version of this function, I assume a 32-bit parameter is passed on the stack in a similar fashion?  How is a 32-bit return value passed out?

Finally, any recommended tutorials or references for learning HC08 assembly?  I did HC11 over 18 years ago, and don't remember anything about it.  I've been doing a lot of Rabbit assembly (originally based on Z80 instruction set) over the past 10 years, and so far the HC08 syntax has been very foreign to me.

-Tom

(HC08 with CodeWarrior 5.9.0)

Outcomes