MC13224 Current Consumption - Radio enabled but idle?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC13224 Current Consumption - Radio enabled but idle?

Brillo
Contributor I

Can anyone tell me what current the device should draw after the radio has been initialized (e.g.    ResetMaca();
  MLMERadioInit():smileywink: but not yet transmitting or receiving?

I am getting around 3.9 ma before initializing the Radio and 8.54 after. On transmit I get 32.2 mA.

It seems to me from my understanding of the documentation that initializing the radio should not significantly increase the current. Also, the amount that it increases looks to be added to the transmit current (should be 29 mA).

Thanks,

Brillo

0 Kudos
3 Replies

redbee
Contributor III

Brillo wrote:

Can anyone tell me what current the device should draw after the radio has been initialized (e.g.    ResetMaca();
  MLMERadioInit():smileywink: but not yet transmitting or receiving?

I am getting around 3.9 ma before initializing the Radio and 8.54 after. On transmit I get 32.2 mA.

It seems to me from my understanding of the documentation that initializing the radio should not significantly increase the current. Also, the amount that it increases looks to be added to the transmit current (should be 29 mA).

Thanks,

Brillo

Here are my results:

http://devl.org/pipermail/mc1322x/2009-May/000003.html

MLMERadioInit is probably leaving the radio on. I wrote radio_off and radio_on routines to turn the radio off and on again without re-initializing. You can find them here:

http://git.devl.org/?p=malvira/libmc1322x.git;a=blob;f=lib/maca.c

-Mar.

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

Mar,

Thank you. I had already found these and in fact used the  radio_of function. Turning the radio off after  MLMERadioInit does reduce the current by around 4 mA.

So, has it been your experience that with the radio on but not transmitting or Receiving packets that you get an additional 4 ma of current?

Again, my continuous transmit (nomod) current is also up by about 4 mA from the published 29 mA.

If so, your functions are going to be very helpful.

Thank you much,

Brillo

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

Mar,

Sorry. In haste I failed to read your test results.

Thanks you again!

Brillo

0 Kudos