Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW Licensing for MQX

Jump to solution
rdazcal
Contributor III

Greetings,

Is it possible to develop MQX applications using CodeWarior's special Edition? I mean, with the code size constrains and number of files constrains, will I have problems with it once my Evaluation License expires?

By development, I mean not only compilation but also flashing the board. (I'm using the Tower System with the MCF52259 MPU)

What about recompiling the BSP?

If the standard edition is not enough, which suite do I need?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is possible to use the Special Edition, but it will limit which applications and demos you can use.

You can look at this page in the lower left hand corner (click on "Example Applications and Labs") to see which projects, the ones with the astricks, will not work with Special Edition because of code size limitations. That is assuming the default MQX configuration settings, so you might be able to squeeze it down further with some tweaking of user_config.h.

The libraries, with the exception of the default RTCS library, should have no problems compiling. For RTCS, you might have to take out some features to get the library down to the 128K limit.

You should probably get a license that allows you to compile code for the amount of flash on the chip. So for the MCF52259, that would be 512k, which is the Basic edition. The list of CW versions and details can be found here: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=CW_SUITES&tid=CWH

Also note that the code size limitations differ based on which core you're using, so a ColdFire V2/V3/V4 has a different size limitaiton than a ColdFire V1 in the Special Edition.

Finally Task Aware Debugging is only enabled on the Professional version, so keep that in mind as well.

-Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is possible to use the Special Edition, but it will limit which applications and demos you can use.

You can look at this page in the lower left hand corner (click on "Example Applications and Labs") to see which projects, the ones with the astricks, will not work with Special Edition because of code size limitations. That is assuming the default MQX configuration settings, so you might be able to squeeze it down further with some tweaking of user_config.h.

The libraries, with the exception of the default RTCS library, should have no problems compiling. For RTCS, you might have to take out some features to get the library down to the 128K limit.

You should probably get a license that allows you to compile code for the amount of flash on the chip. So for the MCF52259, that would be 512k, which is the Basic edition. The list of CW versions and details can be found here: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=CW_SUITES&tid=CWH

Also note that the code size limitations differ based on which core you're using, so a ColdFire V2/V3/V4 has a different size limitaiton than a ColdFire V1 in the Special Edition.

Finally Task Aware Debugging is only enabled on the Professional version, so keep that in mind as well.

-Anthony

0 Kudos
rdazcal
Contributor III

Thank you Anthony,

That was exactly the information I was looking for!

0 Kudos
machinegeek
Contributor I
I recently purchased the MCF51CN in the Tower system and have the same concerns.
0 Kudos