Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5554 EBI

Jump to solution
mfa1361
Contributor I

HI

I am new user to MPC5554 and 32 bit programming , and I am trying to initialize the EBI for an External FPGA, I have to Initialize the EBI and also make the Read and Write routines for Company.

I am okay with the EBI initialization but I didn't understand from the user manual how to implement a read and write functions.

The ADDR and DATA ?How to read them and write them, I couldn't find any sample code or example even.

I really appreciate any help and suggestion in advance.

Regards

Moe 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Develop
Contributor I

Hi Moe,

I also have the same problem with reading/writing the EBI for communication with a external device.

As far as I know is that during initialisation you set an address for your EBI. (This is done in the base register of the ebi registers) This address is available in your memory map, so reading and writing can be done using pointers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Develop
Contributor I

Hi Moe,

I also have the same problem with reading/writing the EBI for communication with a external device.

As far as I know is that during initialisation you set an address for your EBI. (This is done in the base register of the ebi registers) This address is available in your memory map, so reading and writing can be done using pointers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Best regards,

0 Kudos
mfa1361
Contributor I

Hi

Thanks, but still I am a bit confused,I will explain the whole project and also my confusion at the end.

I am trying to connect an Actel FPGA to EBI, the only possible way of doing that is to connect it through the expansion board and then through the onboard Lattice FPGA , and progarrm the FPGA as a dumm terminal to just pass the values and then I need to read the data and also I am going to define a configuration register for my BUS.

I am using CS[3] in order to use the on board FPGA and I can initialize my ebi for 32 bit transfer, the address is 0x23000000 for the FPGA base. then I have the following, based on the manual :

BR3 = FPGA_BASE | 0x00000003; // no burst and valid
OR3 = 0xff000020; //16 MByte space; two Wait

in the manual there are some charts for read and write which they have to enable the TS  and wait for TA and so on, which looks really low level, do I still need to do those?

now the confusion is where is my actual data?is it in the location of 0x23000000 ?is it like ADC which we have a special location for the conversions and ...?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Moe

0 Kudos
Develop
Contributor I

Hi Moe,

The data is available on address 0x23000000.

(If the FPGA has data on address 0x0)

For example your memory map of the FPGA from 0x0 till 0x1000 is mapped in the powerpc from 0x23000000 till 0x23001000.

The TS and TA signals the PPC will take care off that, there is only a configuration possibility. Which signals during communication on the EBI are used.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
mfa1361
Contributor I

I really appreciate your help and Thanks for your time.

Regards

Moe

0 Kudos
tantran
Contributor I

Hi Moe

I'm new to the EBI. Could you please give me a small example how to access the external memory using EBI. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tan

0 Kudos