cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message for coldfire v2 using USBDM

raghu123
Contributor I

Hi all,

I have rigged up the circuit  for USBDM_CF_JMXX_CLD.

I have programmed the board using USBDM_JMxx_v2 firmware.

For testing pupose i am using M52233DEMO board.

i followed all the instructions  given in USBDM_CF_JMxx.chm and accordingly configured codewarrior v7.1.

when i try to debug the code in RAM, I could continue up to progess bar which shows the downloading no of

bytes to target, after that i get a error message saying:

"ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter: An invalid preference was passed to the ColdFire GDI protocol "

i tried with the CF_unlocker and was successful in detecting the target and erasing it.

one more thing, while installing USB driver  i get the identification of device as JB16JMxx USBDM(OSBDM mode),

but in the manual the images show the USB device recognized as JMxx USBDM(TBCLF mode).

is it because of this the error message is occuring?.

Please help me in identifying the problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear raghu123,

Could you check that you have enabled the BDM interface on the board (link present on BDM_EN).

If this has no effect (or you are already doing this!) could you do the following:

• Install the debug version of the USBDM software.
  • Try your example again
  • Go to the %APPDATA%\usbdm directory - (type %APPDATA%\usbdm in the address bar of a Windows Explorer window)
  • Zip up the file:  usbdm.log & post  it here

bye

0 Kudos

raghu123
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

Thanks for the reply

I had enabled the BDM interface on the board and have confirmed it , because if i remove the BDM enable jumper

i get the error messsage very early and i cannot even see the dowloading progress bar.

Then i installed the DEBUG  VERSION of USBDM( by double click on Install Codewarrior Debug Files.cmd),

In the command window i could see the  installation messages

3 files copied for for  code warrior  for ColdFire V2,V3 &V4,

1 file copied for code warrior  for RS08/HCS08/Coldfire v1,

1 file copied for code warrior  for HCS12

Then i tried downloading the code into the RAM and  i got the same error message:

"ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter: An invalid preference was passed to the ColdFire GDI protocol "

Then i typed %APPDATA%\usbdm in the address bar of a Windows Explorer, but windows couldn't find that folder.

Even i went to application data folder and checked, but there was no usbdm folder.

Then i gave search in windows for *.log and i could locate one file in C:\ by name usbdm_dll.log

i am attaching this file, please check whether this is correct file and any error can be located in the log file.

bye

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Raghu,

I'm sorry I gave you the wrong location for the log file (as you discovered)  The V3 software moved this.  The log file you provided is the intended one.  It indicates a problem with the target recognizing a command.

There was a timing problem in the V2 USBDM for coldfire that affected some targets.  I would suggest trying the V3 software to see if this improves the situation.

USBDM - Version 3 (JB16/JS16 /JMxx Hardware

If you install this version you will be prompted to update the BDM firmware on the first use.  I expect that this will fix the problem.

Bye

0 Kudos

raghu123
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

i have installed USBDM V3 and also updated the firmware .

it worked perfectly fine.

i tried downloading code both in RAM and FLASH, both worked fine.

Thanks for the support in helping me to fix the problem

Bye.

0 Kudos