cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning C12056

Jump to solution
WadeH
Contributor III

I am using CW 5.9.0 with a 9S12C32. After some recent edits, I am now getting the compiler message:

_      Warning: C12056: SP debug info incorrect because of optimization or inline assembler

No inline assembly is involved, except the macro EnableInterrupt, and no amount of disabling optimizations makes this message go away.

I can't blame any code misbehavior on this (wish I could) but I would like to know exactly what it means. The help-file explanation is a real eye-glazer

Wade H

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It did you try to disable the common code optimization with -onf?

What it means is that the stackpointer has different values in a single location in a function depending on how the code gets to this location. With the common code optimization (to disable use -onf) this may happen in legal code.

Conceptually this happens for a setup like this:

void fun(void) {

CC;

PSHA

CC;

PULA

RTS

}

CC is a list of identical assembly instructions.

In this setup, the compiler moves the common code part CC to a new location and replaces the two old locations with JSR to the shared place for CC. As the two JSR's are located at different SP levels, the compiler issues the warning for the new location of the CC code.

optimized function:

void fun(void) {

JSR CC_Label

PSHA

JSR CC_Label

PULA

RTS

CC_Label:

CC

RTS

}

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It did you try to disable the common code optimization with -onf?

What it means is that the stackpointer has different values in a single location in a function depending on how the code gets to this location. With the common code optimization (to disable use -onf) this may happen in legal code.

Conceptually this happens for a setup like this:

void fun(void) {

CC;

PSHA

CC;

PULA

RTS

}

CC is a list of identical assembly instructions.

In this setup, the compiler moves the common code part CC to a new location and replaces the two old locations with JSR to the shared place for CC. As the two JSR's are located at different SP levels, the compiler issues the warning for the new location of the CC code.

optimized function:

void fun(void) {

JSR CC_Label

PSHA

JSR CC_Label

PULA

RTS

CC_Label:

CC

RTS

}

Daniel