cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M9S08JM60 design opinion sought.

Yoheeb
Contributor I

Hi all.

I have settled on the S08JM60 for a simple design.  The device needs to communicate via usb to a host PC.  It needs to do gpio, and some A/D.  There is not very much trafic back and forth, the speeds of the activities are measured in seconds.

Should I just use this device as a HID, and just use the demo firmware and pc side software as a big starting platform, or should I make this a more "complete" usb device.  I might not even have to store anything in flash in terms of data.

Longer term, I'd like to eventually generalize this, add an OS and make it a more robust usb device, but at the moment, just need to hit the ground running.

I have never done USB related work, so just looking for a quick "up and running" approach.  I need to handle a couple switches, output to some relays, read a couple photo-detects, send info back to pc every few seconds.  probably a heartbeat of somekind to the host.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yoheeb
Contributor I

I went with a HID, in case anyone was following this.  For what I need, the speeds and amount of data are trvially small, so this was plenty.  I was even able to basically wrap the existing sample code out there to get a functional prototype.

I need to go back and do some actual code design and clean it all up, but that wasn't the goal for the first few days.

Thanks to all those who have posted code/forum responses, etc. which I used extensively to get the ball rolling.

0 Kudos