Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD DRIVER    MC9S08LC60

Jump to solution
yecosuma
Contributor III

hello

excuse my ignorance; but I never use a driver for control of lcd display I used this module 2x16 and 4x20 but direct conect at mcu, never use a driver; for this reason i dont understand which is the advantage of using this, for  that serving really in the custom lcd display  what mean blackplane and frontplane  please send me explication, and links and all information possible for learn of this module  thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello,

Your interpretations of my response are correct.

If you are using a character LCD module then just keep doing the same as usual.

I doubt it is viable to get hold of the glass only for this and then interface it to a microcontroller with LCD interface..

The main reason for doing it like this is when you are wanting a custom glass panel or you are talking high volumes.

My knowledge of LCD theory is sketchy and possibly out of date (because I have only ever dealt with modules) so I am not going to attempt to explain how the glass works. Like I said Google should be able to help you out here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello yecosuma,

Presumably what you have been using are LCD "modules" rather than "displays".

These modules are an LCD glass panel with an attached PCB (or direct COG "chip on glass") with the LCD driver or controller chips mounted here. The type you are using will be a Hitachi HD44780 or one of the many copies of this. This chip presents a nice easy to use interface for a microcontroller or similar. This controller does all the "driving" of the glass with all the frequencies and memory etc required to do so.

What these newer "LCD interface" microcontrollers do is bring this controller back onto the die of the microcontroller. What you connect to these devices is just the bare glass panel. This is most appropriate where you are using a custom glass panel with your own custom symbols on it. An example is the paper orientation symbol on a photocopier. This is why you see all these strange signals like frontplane and backplane etc. They exist on you simple character module as well but they are obscured by the controller and you don't have to worry about them.

Hope this overview helps. A full description of this is way beyond a forum posting. Google is your friend!

0 Kudos
yecosuma
Contributor III

hello

ok according this the display is the part of glass.

it is correct?

the driver is a chip including in the pcb i thing are two blacks circles in this, I understand with the mcu remplaces the driver hd44780 I only need the glass and design my pcb.

it is correct?

if I have a lcd of 2*16 that include a  driver hd44780 too must I use the lcd driver of mcu;

i dont understand what is front plane   and back plane    WHAT IS THE USE FOR    FP0....FP39 PIN   AND BP0....BP2

PLEASE sorry my ignorance explain this  thanks

0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello,

Your interpretations of my response are correct.

If you are using a character LCD module then just keep doing the same as usual.

I doubt it is viable to get hold of the glass only for this and then interface it to a microcontroller with LCD interface..

The main reason for doing it like this is when you are wanting a custom glass panel or you are talking high volumes.

My knowledge of LCD theory is sketchy and possibly out of date (because I have only ever dealt with modules) so I am not going to attempt to explain how the glass works. Like I said Google should be able to help you out here.

0 Kudos
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi yecosuma,

What type of display are you using? Is it a custom display that you had made? Is it a standard display, like a 2x20 character display?

The front-plane and back-plane are parts of the glass. To reiterate what Peg said, if you are DIRECTLY driving the glass, you NEED the LC60. That is what the LC60 is for. If you are NOT directly driving the glass, you should NOT be using the LC60. If it is a standard character-based display with controller, or a graphics display with a controller, you should not use the LC60. If you are not directly driving the glass, then there are plenty of S08 processors that would be better for your application.

0 Kudos