MC13224 Current Consumption

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC13224 Current Consumption

Brillo
Contributor I

I am working with the 1322X-SRB dev board. I have developed a sensor application. I works fine except that the total system current measured at the battery output is around 27 mA in run mode and with the TX and RX idle.As I understand the documentation, The MC13224 should draw 3.3 - 5.0 mA in run mode when the Transmitter is IDLE (not transmitting) and the RX is IDLE (not receiving a packet). I removed the JTAG connection for these tests.

If I hold the reset button I measure about 5 mA. The Power on LED draws about 3 mA by my measurements.

I have removed the4  0 ohm resistors that power up all of the SRMs peripherals. I disconnected my I2C sensor from th GPIO header. I read the state of all of the GPIO pins and see no problems.

I tested most of the Demo applications including the Connectivity Test TX and RX applications in IDLE mode and get the same result. If I put the device in Hibernate the current drops appropriately.

As a further test, I  init the GPIO, turn off all leds, issue a ResetMaca(); and   a MLMERadioInit(); then enter an infinite loop. Again, the current measures 27 mA.

Does anyone know why I am reading so much current? Is there something else I must do to fully idle the RX and TX?

Thanks,

Brillo

0 Kudos
6 Replies

redbee
Contributor III

As a further test, I  init the GPIO, turn off all leds, issue a ResetMaca(); and   a MLMERadioInit(); then enter an infinite loop. Again, the current measures 27 mA.

Does anyone know why I am reading so much current? Is there something else I must do to fully idle the RX and TX?

Thanks,

Brillo

Try my maca_off and maca_on routines. You can find them here:

http://git.devl.org/?p=malvira/libmc1322x.git;a=blob;f=lib/maca.c

-Mar.

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

Mar,

Thanks much. I tried what you suggested. No change in current draw.

Here's the code I am running to test with your   maca_off() function added.

PlatformPortInit();
  LED_Init(); 
  LED_TurnOffAllLeds();

ResetMaca();
  MLMERadioInit();
  MLMETestMode (SMAC_TEST_MODE_IDLE);
  IntDisableIRQ();
  IntDisableFIQ();
  maca_off();
  for   (;:smileywink:   { }

I also ran this code on the Network Node board and the current measures 17 mA. This is also way to high but perhaps the Display circuitry is drawing current. At least it doesn't look like published Radio current..

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

On the Sensor Board, the difference in current between Run (with Radio IDLE)and Hardware reset is 23 mA. 

On the NNRM board, the difference in current between Run (with Radio Idle)  and Hardware reset is 3.84 mA.

Per the documentation, the NNRM board is giving me the result I would expect. So, I'm thinking there is a hardware problem with my Sensor Board. Anyone had this problem?

Brillo

0 Kudos

mack23
Contributor I

I have the same problem with my development board. It is designated mainly like Freescale's 1322x-IPB rev2 board. The current consumption is radio IDLE mode (cpu running on 24Mhz) is about 33mA. When I hold reset button the current consumption is about 5mA.

The curious thing is that when I disconnect the board from power supply, then hold the reset key and power again, power consumption is about 200uA. Why does it depend on when I press the reset button?

Regards

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

Mac23,

Perhaps on your board you have a peripheral such as a sensor device that draws current and your code configures it. Once configured, reset doesn't turn it back off. However, if you hold reset and power up, that device never gets turned on.

The opposite was true for me. I needed to run code to put my sensor to sleep. So, if I hold reset then power up, my current is higher than if I power up then hold reset.

My problem at the moment is that my boards are drawing too much current in run with radio off  and all perpherals off (10 mA). Perhaps damaged chip or poor placement of part etc.

Regards,

Brillo

0 Kudos

Brillo
Contributor I

MAC23

I am having similar problem with my development boards. No time at the moment to give you the full story. Have you resolved the problem? Will get back to you on my findings.

0 Kudos