Compact Flash (ATA) Hot Swap on MCF5445x - CPU freeze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Flash (ATA) Hot Swap on MCF5445x - CPU freeze

cmaryan
Contributor I

I have a 54454 design using a Compact Flash card attached directly to the ATA lines. When the CF card is inserted when the board is powered up (i.e. hot swapped), approximately 1/3 of the time the CPU will freeze (and eventually resets due to the watchdog). If the board is reset with the card in place, the CF card works perfectly. Has anyone else seen any issues with this?

• The wiring is fairly straight forward and follows the various appnotes I've found on the subject. Basically a direct connection from the CF card holder, to the corresponding pin on the 54454 ATA bus, with pullups/downs where appropriate.
  • I have eliminated software being the issue. I can completely reduce the code running on the CPU to almost nothing (including no ATA interaction of any kind) and the probloem still occurs.
  • The only thing that seems to do the trick is killing power to the CF card, which obviously isn't terribly useful.
  • If the watchdog is disabled, the CPU becomes completely frozen. There are no exceptions, no bus faults, nothing at all.

Any ideas? Has anyone else successfully designed a CF interface on the 54454? If so, can you hot wap the card? Anyone perhaps have similar experiences with normal ATA devices (i.e. hot swapable HDs)?

Thanks,

Chris

Keywords: MCF54454, MCF54455, MCF5445x, 54454, 54455, 5445x, ATA, Compact Flash, CF, hot swap

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

AmmarAhmedSiddi
Contributor I

Please provide me the schematic of CF to ATA converter if you have sucessfully sorted out the problem. I require this for my design.

regards

Ammar

0 Kudos

aersek
Contributor I

This is probably power system issue. On this page is same notes about hot swap of MMC/SC cards and apropriate power lines decupling. http://elm-chan.org/docs/mmc/mmc_e.html

Best regards

Andrija

0 Kudos