cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coldfire Lite not compatible with new Codewarrior 7.2

Jump to solution
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

Yesterday I found out about the new release of Codewarrior for Coldfire and decided to try it out right away on my Coldfire Lite based application.

After some playing around with the project settings and selecting the right libraries (I use some libs in my project), I managed to compile and link the project correctly. I noticed right away that code space required by the libraries is now much smaller. The original code size including libs was about 130K when compiled with Codewarrior 7.1.2, but now, when compiled with CW7.2, the code size is only about 88K! That's quite an improvement!

But it was impossible to get the program running. The program crashed almost immediately after starting.

A little debugging and some code disassembly learned me that this must be caused by the way variables are passed to functions, which is done differently by the CW7.2 compiler compared to the earlier versions. That is OK as long as only C code is used, but not when passing parameters to assembly language functions, and those functions are written to expect parameter passing in a specific way.

Coldfire Lite does use some assembly language functions. I am now trying to get these fixed and get the project up and running. But I have very little experience with coldfire assembler, so this may take some time. It will be a good learning school though...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I have Coldfire Lite 3.2 up and running again, compiled with the new Codewarrior 7.2. I will soon post the update on my web site.

I have one issue though, but that isn't Coldfire Lite related. I'm using some routines that I found here on the forum, to write parameters to flash memory. These no longer seem to work and generate a trap whenever they are called (generates a "Illegal stack type -- PC = 0x00000418" on the terminal screen).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I have Coldfire Lite 3.2 up and running again, compiled with the new Codewarrior 7.2. I will soon post the update on my web site.

I have one issue though, but that isn't Coldfire Lite related. I'm using some routines that I found here on the forum, to write parameters to flash memory. These no longer seem to work and generate a trap whenever they are called (generates a "Illegal stack type -- PC = 0x00000418" on the terminal screen).

0 Kudos
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I
Still have another issue... even though the application keeps running, the TCP connection in my app does not receive any data when the optimisation level of the compiler is set higher than 1. It's the TCP callback function that is never called...
0 Kudos