Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSP for real-time audio effects processing

Jump to solution
Joan
Contributor I

Hi there,

I am looking for an affordable DSP in price to manufacture a small device capable of real-time audio effects processing through a microphone. Is there anybody who can recommend me which DSP could be the most interesting to program and use for this application? I have seen the series 563XX might be the ones, but I am a bit lost in the different models, and maybe I am missing some other. It would also be very interesting if it contains a good built-in ADC/DAC to facilitate the design.

The effects I plan to program in the DSP are the basic array: delays, filters, distortion, modulation, flanger/phaser, pitch shifter, and even a vocoder.

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

Best regards,

Joan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Joan,

I've been using the Motorola audio DSPs since the DSP56002 (early 90s). Their 24-bit architecture works very well for audio. I am now trying to use the latest DSP56721, which is a dual-core DSP563xx.

One of the main differences between members is simply the process used to fabricate them. Newer members come out that have smaller geometries, are faster, and run at lower core voltages. Typically, the lower the core voltage, the newer the part. The core of the DSP56721 runs on 1.0 volt. The older parts have a note on the website "Not recommended for new designs".

Another difference is whether or not it supports external memory. I doubt you would need external memory for your application, as there is plenty of memory internally.

None that I know of have ACD/DACs built in. They all have serial-audio interfaces (look for ESAI) that can talk to most audio codecs.

But here is why I wouldn't recommend any Freescale DSPs right now: The development software truly sucks. I have had a service request open since October, and they still haven't gotten a debugger to work. They recently dropped support for the software they recommended just 6 months ago, with nothing to replace it.

The rumors are that they will soon be discontinuing the whole DSP line. We are switching to Analog Devices.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Joan,

I've been using the Motorola audio DSPs since the DSP56002 (early 90s). Their 24-bit architecture works very well for audio. I am now trying to use the latest DSP56721, which is a dual-core DSP563xx.

One of the main differences between members is simply the process used to fabricate them. Newer members come out that have smaller geometries, are faster, and run at lower core voltages. Typically, the lower the core voltage, the newer the part. The core of the DSP56721 runs on 1.0 volt. The older parts have a note on the website "Not recommended for new designs".

Another difference is whether or not it supports external memory. I doubt you would need external memory for your application, as there is plenty of memory internally.

None that I know of have ACD/DACs built in. They all have serial-audio interfaces (look for ESAI) that can talk to most audio codecs.

But here is why I wouldn't recommend any Freescale DSPs right now: The development software truly sucks. I have had a service request open since October, and they still haven't gotten a debugger to work. They recently dropped support for the software they recommended just 6 months ago, with nothing to replace it.

The rumors are that they will soon be discontinuing the whole DSP line. We are switching to Analog Devices.

0 Kudos
Joan
Contributor I

Dear Rocco,

Thanks for your reply, it has been really useful. And yes, you are right about checking other DSP suppliers. In fact, I am also considering about AD, TI, Cirrus Logic..., in order to find the DSP which suits me better for this application at the time. I think AD has many good options, and they also have very good ADC/DACs. Thanks again for your support. :smileyhappy:

Best regards,

Joan

0 Kudos