Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I verify, that the connection to the controller is established

Jump to solution
Carmedia
Contributor I

Hi

I have a MC9S12C64CFAE (48 pin package) that i need to program with a .s19 file.

I have a Turbo BDM Light USB debugger.

I use Hiwave to program the chip.

When i press "load application" i the file menu and afterwarts run (F5) i doesn´t get any errors, but if i try to program the chip without i BDM cable connected i doesn´t get any errors aswell.

How do I verify, that the connection to the controller is established??

Can it be a syncronization problem? how should i set my speed in the TBDML menu?

my chip runs at 8.00MHz and the debugger runs at 12.00MHz, shouldn´t the right ratio be 0.67 ? 

Martin 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

Every read of a register or memory is returning zero so it looks like there is no connection.

Have you tried unsecuring the chip?  This shouldn't be necessary since it is a new chip but worth a try.

Other than that can you check you BDM hardware and connection to the target chip?  Do you have a circuit of the BDM?   

Some things to check:

Activity on the RESET and BKGD pins on the target.

Activity on the corresponding pins of the JB16 chip in the BDM - both the driver and receiver side.  Without a circuit I can't suggest more specific checks.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carmedia,

That's a bit strange!

On the TBDML_HCS12 menu if you select Connect... you should get the "TBDML Setup"  dialogue box.  It should show a list of (usually one) TBDML device to connect to.  If empty it didn't find any TBDMLs.  If you don't have the menu it means you need to change the connection (Component->Set Connection...).

I have to admit it doesn't make much of a fan fair if it doesn't connect when there is no BDM.  Check the Command Window (usually at bottom right of the screen).  It will have a message "No link to target" if it fails to connect.  It shouldn't let you debug without a connection!  Stepping will result in messages in the same window.

If the TBDML fails to connect to the target device there would be multiple error dialogue windows alerting you to the fact.

Is it possilble that you are using the simulator connection i.e. simulating the operation  of the device?  There aren't many visible differences between this and the hardware debugger i.e. BDM operation.

bye

0 Kudos
Carmedia
Contributor I

I doesn´t have a "connect" option im my TBDML menu, but i have a "setup" option, it is set to "TBDML #1" witch is my only option whether the bdm cable is connected or not.

In set connection i have selected "HC12" in processor and "TBDML" in connection.

when i connect to my debugger i get an error in the command window 

Micro Name: MC9S12C64
GDI:   DiDirectCommand(GETNVMFREQUENCY)==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiDirectReadNoWait()==> DI_OK

FP: Bus speed detection skipped. Now using predefined frequency of 4002779 Hz

What dos that tell you?

Martin

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carmedia,

I don't believe any of those messages are errors.

The last is just informing you that you have set the 'bus speed' to ~4MHz rather than allowing the BDM to auto-detect the speed.

What messages appear when you step through your code?  With or without the TBDML connected?

Are you using hiwave directly or using it with the Codewarrior IDE i.e. creating a project and then starting the debugger (hiwave) from within the IDE?  If you  are using it directly then I suggest you create a simple project with codewarrior and then use it to test you hardware debugging connection.

bye

0 Kudos
Carmedia
Contributor I

Yes i´m using hiwave directly.

If i use hiwave through IDE i get an error saying "Error while loading diagnostics algorithm to target system" then hiwave starts.

I get the same error if i press "flash" in the TBDML menu.

I´ll check if there´s difference between the massages in the commend window with and without the cable connected.

0 Kudos
Carmedia
Contributor I

Now i have checked if there´s a difference between the command window with and without the cable connected.

There´s not difference at all.

I have attached a copy of the text from the command window.

Martin

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

Every read of a register or memory is returning zero so it looks like there is no connection.

Have you tried unsecuring the chip?  This shouldn't be necessary since it is a new chip but worth a try.

Other than that can you check you BDM hardware and connection to the target chip?  Do you have a circuit of the BDM?   

Some things to check:

Activity on the RESET and BKGD pins on the target.

Activity on the corresponding pins of the JB16 chip in the BDM - both the driver and receiver side.  Without a circuit I can't suggest more specific checks.

bye

0 Kudos
Carmedia
Contributor I

We have come to the solution that the debugger isn´t working.. and the store where we bourght it isn´t answering you mails... :smileysad:

The solution was that we bought a P&E multilink. And now everything is working :smileyhappy:

Martin

0 Kudos