cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing flash at execution time in RS08

Jump to solution
carloscuevas
Contributor III
I just know if it is possible for the RS08 core to write flash at execution time (be able to emulate an EEPROM and possibly a IIC Bootloader !!) If it is possible could someone give me a link to some documentation about it? Thanks !
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello Carlos,

If you need to be "in application" programming an RS08 then you probably need to re-visit the selection process. The programming is similar to the S08 but the main problem is you need to supply your own programming voltage. This then uses up one of the few pins that you have and you need to switch it.

Not to mention the small amount of RAM and FLASH you have to burn up with bootloaders and programming code.

There is only one reason to select the crippled RS08 over the S08 and that is to save 50c. If you spend most of the 50c making up for its shortcomings you have selected the wrong device. There will always be exceptions to statements like this, but this also explains the lack of information about it too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
carloscuevas
Contributor III
Oh thanks, I totally forgot that it need external VPP. My fault. I'd better go with a S08 core :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello Carlos,

If you need to be "in application" programming an RS08 then you probably need to re-visit the selection process. The programming is similar to the S08 but the main problem is you need to supply your own programming voltage. This then uses up one of the few pins that you have and you need to switch it.

Not to mention the small amount of RAM and FLASH you have to burn up with bootloaders and programming code.

There is only one reason to select the crippled RS08 over the S08 and that is to save 50c. If you spend most of the 50c making up for its shortcomings you have selected the wrong device. There will always be exceptions to statements like this, but this also explains the lack of information about it too.

0 Kudos