I'm getting desperate. Has anyone gotten Symphony-Studio to run?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting desperate. Has anyone gotten Symphony-Studio to run?

rocco
Senior Contributor II

I haven't, and neither has Freescale Support. The service request has been open since October. Nothing in Symphony-Studio seems to work, even for the support person. He complains that he can't get any help from the developers, and has advised me to give up. My calls to the support 800 number falls on sympathetic, but impotent ears. They say they will try to get someone to call me back, and then I hear nothing . . .

We have been dead in the water for a month, and management is ready to scrap Freescale and switch to Analog Devices DSPs. I don't wish to scrap 15 years-worth of DSP code. They've done it before, moving from HC08 to AVR because of CodeWarrior, scrapping 20 years-worth code, so I know they are serious.

Is anyone out there using Symphony-Studio? Or am I the only one stupid enough to try?

mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies

mocambo
Contributor I

Hi mark,

I understand you...

By now I used Symphony-Studio only with the soundbite board from Freescale, and it works.

David Dicarlo timely answer to my service request in the past, but I think he doesn't work on Symphony-Studio now.

Next year I think I can switch to DSP56725, but by now DSP56371 is enough for my needs.

Alberto

0 Kudos

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Thanks Alberto,

Were any of your problems with the debugger? We can compile and link with Suite56, but the Suite56 debugger does not support current hardware. We only need to get the debugger running.

The only windows that display anything in the debugger are the "Register" and "Disassembly". That would be enough to get by, except that most controls, like "Run to here", lock it up. There is no way to set breakpoints or watchpoints, since the source is not visible. We often get "An internal error occurred", but we can live with that.

If you have any experience with any of those, I would love to hear about it. After five weeks, I think tech-support has given up.

mark

0 Kudos

mocambo
Contributor I

Hi Mark,

I don't know exactly your situation.

Now I don't use Suite56, check these links(the first not in english...) but I don't know if can help you:

http://www.unidsp56.de/

http://www.tasking.com/products/32_bit/dsp56xxx/en/dsp56xxx.cfm

http://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/developers/resources.shtml

Now I use only Symphony-studio.

Symphony-studio is very different to Suite56: it is a complete and modern IDE, as I know Suite56 is a collection of tools that works with the command line, more or less. I like Symphony-studio, with Suite56 I think you need more time to learn how it works.

With Symphony-studio I think you have to start with a simple project, the example in the soundbite manual/documentation is simple enough to work without a lot of problem(with the soundbite hardware). Then you can start to develop your application with Symphony-studio and soundbite, and finally you can switch to start the hard work to develop with your custom hardware. Symphony-studio is a powerfull tool, but it is easy to get in trouble...

Your project is an asm project or a C project? As I know, if you have a C project with mixed asm/c source code, you cannot set breakpoint in the asm source code.

Also check if your Symphony-studio release is updated.

Bye,

Alberto
0 Kudos