cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC56F8037 UART speed question

jag
Contributor IV

Hi, I need an opinion:

a customer wish to comunicate with our board (that uses a 8037 to control a BLDC motor with hall sensor for commutations and an encoder for position sensing) via a RS485 bus with a baudrate of 230400 bps. the messages are 16byte in length and a reply is expected within 3 msec.

Is it feasible?

Or maybe there is an external chip (via IIC or SPI) that can manage this kind of speed? The problem will still be to answer in 3 msec...

Thanks Bye Jack 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Jack,

I am doing just that. I'm using a 500kBaud RS485 network to control 5 servo motors and other devices. My response time on the bus is a handfull of microseconds. Communication with each node (11 altogether) occurs every 2.5 milliseconds. And I'm doing it with an an HC08GP32. But the GP32 is not closing the servo-loop, which the 56F8037 would be doing.

So it is certainly possible. 3 milliseconds should seem like an eternity to a 56F8037. However, my code is completely event-driven (no loops!) and written in assembly language. C would require a performance hit. But the key to success would be the firmware programmer.

mark

0 Kudos