Anybody using Linux + 52233 + iNiche ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody using Linux + 52233 + iNiche ?

TVNAIDU
Contributor III
I would like to use LInux with 52233, anybody using, appreciated for links for compilers and also where to start?. I think in Linux web srvers like thttp which can handle some scripting and etc., comare to iNiche stack, please let me know. thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

scifi
Senior Contributor I

Linux on the MCF52233? You cannot be serious!

A typical linux kernel has code size of about 1 Mbyte. And that's the kernel alone, you also need other programs. The MCF52233 has 256 Kbytes of flash memory and 32 Kbytes of RAM, and there is no external bus to connect external memory to. So it is safe to say that there is absolutely no (reasonable) way to run linux on the MCF52233.

You shouldn't compare the InterNiche stack with linux for the same reason: they have wildly different memory requirements. There are things you simply cannot do with 32 Kbytes of RAM.

0 Kudos

TVNAIDU
Contributor III
Can't I use micro kernel version of Linux like ucLinux?. I think that is very small foorprint for DSP or some Microcontrollers?.  I believe some web servers like boa and thhtp also comes very small footprint.
0 Kudos

scifi
Senior Contributor I

TVNAIDU wrote:
Can't I use micro kernel version of Linux like ucLinux?. I think that is very small foorprint for DSP or some Microcontrollers?.  I believe some web servers like boa and thhtp also comes very small footprint.

No, you can't use ucLinux. The 'u' in ucLinux doesn't stand for 'micro' as in small size. It stands for 'microcontroller' meaning a microprocessor without an MMU. ucLinux doesn't have reduced memory requirements compared to standard linux.

Web servers like boa or thttp may have a small memory footprint. But still it's not nearly small enough to run on a system with 256 Kbytes of ROM and 32 Kbytes of RAM.

Perhaps you should think about using a different hardware platform. There are plenty of linux-capable embedded processor boards around.

0 Kudos

TVNAIDU
Contributor III

In CF family any processor family support Linux or any high-end processor than 5223x? (more GPIO and more memory). Just for microcontrollers based application, also using web to control devives connected using GPIO, I don't need too high-end processor which were used for Home router or residential gateway type.

looklike 52259 is little better than 5223x.

0 Kudos

scifi
Senior Contributor I

I have written firmware to control an optical amplifier. The amplifier had a web interface as well as SNMPv1 support. It was possible to control operating modes and monitor various runtime parameters. There was a save/load function as well using the on-chip flash. I used the MCF52230 for that (128 Kbytes of flash ROM and 32 Kbytes of RAM). I didn't use an operating system. Lwip was used for TCP/IP support.

The point is: it is possible to fit a rather sophisticated program into the small memory of a MCF5223x family device. But it requires some work: you always have to keep the memory footprint in mind. You can't just take off-the-shelf software written for a standard PC and use it in your device.

I guess that's the trade-off. You can spend more on the hardware platform that supports the off-the-shelf software. Then you'll be able to use the familiar PC programming skills. But that won't work with smaller microcontrollers. It's a bit more demanding.

0 Kudos