cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions for processor/architecture choice

AviHD
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm a noob to non-x86 hardware, so excuse my lack of knowledge and if I've posted this in the incorrect place.

I had a few questions regarding choice of processor/board for a network security gateway running Linux capable of:

1. Deep packet inspection (Snort)

2. Run Clam AV to scan HTTP/EMAIL data streams

3. Run the Netfilter stack to do packet filtering and routing

4. Do Layer 7 traffic shaping + QoS etc.

5. Manage atleast 30 concurrent VPN tunnels

6. DHCP/DNS caching

7. A web server to manage all of the above

8. Generate graphs etc.

No more than 50-200 nodes will be using it as the gateway, but the total Internet bandwidth available to the device will not exceed 10-50Mbps.

1-2 GigaLAN ports would be nice, but is not a deal breaker as this will primarily protect 10/100M SOHO networks.

We do want atleast six 10/100NICs with 5 being capable of being WAN ports and the ability to add 1-2 WiFi radios. Is Mini-PCI an option?

What processors should we be looking at and what SoC boards are available for this sort of performance that we could order right away to test?

We're not targetting a spendy customer so price is a factor, but the specs above are the minimum performance we are looking for.

Any help is highly appreciated.

-AviHD

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Savke
Contributor I

Deepens on budget and performance you want to achieve. I believe it can be done with MPC8572E, if you need HW acc for patter matching and VPN. The rest of the tasks could be perform by CPU's.

take a look on : http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/white_paper/FIREWALLVPNWP.pdf?fpsp=1

If you need higher performance, you may go with 4040 family of add FPGA based accelerator (but this may be serious HW design task).

Cheers,

Sav ke

0 Kudos