cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think flashx example just bricked my M52259evb

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Hi,

I just ran the flashx example code from MRAM and it appears to have bricked my M52259evb. The PTC on the 5V power input keeps blowing as soon as it tries to power up. It powers up for a few milliseconds at about 2 second intervals (LED's all flash, Reset_out LED comes on). I cannot get into programming mode via the onboard debugger as it reboots and looses power.

Any ideas? Its like the processor is causing something to draw to much current, so when it boots it sets something or does something that causes the entire board to rese which stops any programming from happening. (Just a guess, I really have NFI).

There is nothing else plugged in and the boards been working 100% for 6 months without a problem.

PS: The last message I got from the flashx was

"FLASH_IOCTL_ERASE_CHIP Failed."

Message Edited by CarlFST60L on 2009-07-23 04:41 AM
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Darkn3ss
Contributor II

I had something similar happen yesterday.  I had a null pointer be dereferenced inside of an ioctl function call, and it ended up putting the processor in protected mode.  It was my fault, but it turns out that if you go into JTAG mode, you can unsecure the processor which will erase the flash, and then you can go back and use the BDM.

I didn't do this on the M52259evb, but instead a custom board for our application, but it would be able to happen just as easily on the demo or evb boards.

0 Kudos

gmnelson
Contributor III

Cool, thanks for the post.  Interesting explanation.  I currently have a 2nd board on my desk (awaiting a replacement) that has the same problem, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos

PavelM
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Carl,

It looks like hardware problem. Check the devices in power supply block and jumpers. If you used the MRAM target, is improbable somehow block the processor. 

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Thanks for the reply PaveIM.

I have been advised to send the hardware back to Freescale which I have done.

I cannot imagine the jumpers being wrong as I have been using this board constantly for months without a problem.

Its certainly strange, I can only imagine that something inside the processor has shorted while writting to flash.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else writting to flash has this problem in the future.

Carl.

Message Edited by CarlFST60L on 2009-07-27 10:49 PM
0 Kudos

gmnelson
Contributor III

Hmm, something happened to my M52259EVB board today.

I can no longer access it using either the built-in USB debug interface or the externally connected CodeWarror Ethernet TAP.  One thing I'm noticing now is that when I power-up the board in stand-alone mode (without connecting either the USB debugger or the Ethernet TAP) and then press the RESET button - the RED RESET LED comes on and stays on.  One would conclude from this that the microcontroller is never coming out of reset. 

I tried a different 5Vdc power supply, and also double-and-triple-checked all the jumpers to another M52259EVB board we have here in the office.  Additionally the 3.3V, 5.0V, and 1.8V power supply LEDS are all illuminated as expected.

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Were you also using the FlashX example, or, FlashX driver?

0 Kudos

gmnelson
Contributor III
No I wasn't using the FlashX example or FlashX driver.  We have that turned off in our project.
0 Kudos