A little more detail on the CodeWarrior you are using (such as product target and version type), plus the file name and how the project was created might help in solving this problem.
Lacking that, I am going to make an educated guess that you used the CodeWarrior project wizard to create a project, and made a program with that project. Next, you made a duplicate of that project (why mess with success?), then replaced the original source code files in it with new source code files for your new program. Apparently there is something left over in this new project which references the original project. If you do not need that old source file, get rid of it from the new project. Check that if you did move the file to the new project, make sure that you copied the actual file, and not a link (shortcut) to it
I am using CodeWarrior 6.2. My product uses 3 processors (MC9S08AW16, MC9S08QE128, MCF51QE128) so I have 3 CodeWarrior projects that I switch between. These projects were all created with the project wizard using device initialization. All was working without this anomaly until recently.
Whenever I open any of the projects, a window opens with a source from the MCF51QE128 project. This is also true if I create a new blank project or open one of the CodeWarrior example projects.
If I close the device initialization window then close the project, when I open the project I get a confirmation message that says the project contains DI settings but is suspended and asks if I want to open DI. If I answer No, that source file does not open, but when I then open the DI window I also opens that file.
I do copy complete project folders for version backup and to share with another developer on the project.
Does the project source file directory for each of the 9S08 projects contain MCUInit.c and MCUInit.h files, as generated by the device initialisation tool? If so, and these files do pertain to the correct 9S08 device, you might simply delete the files (with the incorrect path) from the project, and then add the correct files to the project.
Use a separate text editor to examine the content of the files, rather than from within CW IDE, so that there is no assumed path.
I don't understand exactly what you were telling me to do, but you led me down the path where I discovered a solution. Here is what I did.
I created a new blank project with the project wizard including devise initialization. When the project opened, it also opened that source file from my other project. I closed the project. I did a search for that filename in all of the files in the project folder and subfolders. Nothing was found. I then deleted MCUinit.c and MCUinit.h. When I opened the project and did a Make, it said that MCUinit could not be found. Obviously! I then removed MCUinit files from the project. I then did a DI Generate Code to recreate the MCUinit files. Now file does not open in any of my projects. I am thinking that the last step (Generate Code) is all that was necessary.
I still would like to know how that condition could have happened and where that filename is stored. It must be encrypted (not text) into some DI configuration file or registry key.
Retrieving data ...