S08 JM Bootloader PC source code

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S08 JM Bootloader PC source code

RoboTech
Contributor III

hi, I'm evaluating the possibility of using the JM USB Bootloader supplied by Freescale for one of our products, to let the customers update the firmware in case we release any new version.

Now, I have installed the "JM60_GUI_INSTALLER_V1.2.zip" and I found it contains the WinUSB driver installer and a GUI developed with .Net framework.

The license grants to prepare derivative works, but the package does not contain source code and we're not going to give customers the Freescale software as it is.

We need to customize driver installer and bootloader firmware to use our own VID/PID and also modify/rewrite the PC GUI software to download new firmware.

Since every piece is closed source, and there is no PC library or programming reference, I think this is not a viable option for production, just a demo or proof of concept.

Did I got this right? Or where are the missing pieces?

Does anyone know of any alternatives with source code?

I know there is a serial bootloader AN using SCI, but I need to use USB.

Thanks,
Paolo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

TurboBob
Contributor IV

Freescale should publish the source code, and details for integrating this into products.  Every other chip supplier supports this function.

I ported the bootloader from the OSBDM which works well.  But I should not have had to do it....

Perhaps submit a service request thru official channels to get the source published.

Bob

0 Kudos

RoboTech
Contributor III

Hi Bob,

I've had a look at your post before writing mine. I hoped I could get some official response but, as you say, it's probably better to open a support request. Even if I don't think the answer will arrive in time for me.

I also had a quick look at the OSBDM you're referring to, but since it's GPL I think I won't be able to use it. Apparently they are using a custom protocol for the bootloader, just like Freescale does.

Wouldn't have it been better to use a "standard" protocol like DFU? It just makes more sense to me, anyway. But sure I don't have the time to implement it now.

A silly piece of mind I had today was to have a look at the serial bootloader and see if I can fit the CDC example into it, to replace SCI with USB, but still use the PC software that needs only a serial port (no matters if it's a Virtual COM Port). This might be a quick solution...

Best,

Paolo

Message Edited by RoboTech on 2009-07-17 09:08 AM
0 Kudos

ok2ucx
Contributor IV

Hi,

AN2295 bootloader now covers also S08JM family in the USB mode, using CDC class (Virtual Serial Port). Please follow this thread: http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=8BITCOMM&message.id=14671&jump=true#M14...

MCF51JM USB bootloader also there.

Regards, Pavel ok2ucx

an2295 bootloader developer & coordinator

0 Kudos