K4 processors and PCBUG11

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K4 processors and PCBUG11

bat
Contributor II

First there appears to be at least 2 versions of PCBUG11 3.42. One is named PCBUG11 and the other is PCBUG11a.  I have 1ea 68hc11k1 ,1ea XC68HC711K4cfs4 and 5ea XC68HC711P2CFS4. None of the processors could be accessed by (bug11a). The other version (bug11) could be accessed by the K4 processor and another K1 processor(hc11). The other 5ea hc711P2  could not be accessed by PCBUG11 . The error messages indicate there is no com connection. All the processors were tried in the same board with the same PCBUG11.

The PCBUG11 options for K4 are

19 for 11P2

20 for 11ka4

23 for 11p2

18 for 711k4

24 for 711p2

The 2 mentioned earlier would work for any of these options. The 5 other would not . Its hard to beleive that all the P2s are bad with the same problem,but I could be convinced.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Also I would appreciate any info about how I may access these or any HC11 that hasn't already been programed. Any other program similar to PCBUG11 that may work.

Thanks

BAT Taylor

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

tonyp
Senior Contributor II

PCBug11a is just a hacked version which attempts to bypass a startup timing error found in many early Borland compilers which causes an abnormal termination when run on faster machines.  Unfortunately, that was too long ago.  Machines have gotten even faster, and even that fix won't work in many situations.  Also, I believe serial communications with PCBug11 were based on software timing loops which are way off in modern fast PCs.

There is a Windows-based PCBug11 alternative, caller JBug11 (click on name).  I'm not sure if it supports the K4 variant, but there is no reason why not.

Good luck.

0 Kudos

bat
Contributor II

I have not had any problem using a 486-66 computer with PCBUG11 and K4 processor. It dosnt seem to work when I use the P2 processor even tho it lists the P2 processor. I tried JBUG11 and it also will not initialize. I have contacted John Beatty the Originator of JBUG11.

He told me, the talker would be different for the P2 processor ,he would try to write a talker for the P2 Processor.

Thanks for your input

BAT Taylor

0 Kudos