Panic on booting iMX27ADS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic on booting iMX27ADS

shahrad
Contributor I

Using ltib and ARMv5te as a toolchain create file system and kernel that I can boot the board, but using ARM926 give me kernel panic on booting the board.

I am usng NFS filesystem and configuration is the same in both cases that I mentioned. System gives kernel panic with "Attempted to kill init" message.

Any help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You should use the toolchain that comes as default in the MX27ADS BSP. It works correctly. No need to change it.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

shahrad
Contributor I
Yes, I am using that.
0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. What is your kernel command line?

2. Post your Linux boot messages so we can try to understand the cause of the hang.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

shahrad
Contributor I

Hi and Thank you for reply 

kernel command line 

noinitrd console=tty0,115200 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.111:/srv/tftp/imx27-rootfs init=/linuxrc ip=192.168.1.122:192.168.1.111

And Linux message is

Freeing init memory: 116K

Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

BTW How can I put tty0 to see the kernel messages on LCD, How can I get the messages on EXT UART on iMX27 ADS

0 Kudos

qwerty
Contributor I

One possible cause of this is if the ABI the kernel is expecting and the one that the applications are compiled with are different.

For example, LTIB comes with two compilers, gcc-4.1.2 and gcc-4.1.1. Each defaulting to a different ABI.

Alternatively, the kernel can be configured  (under 'Kernel Features') to "Use the ARM EABI" which is instead of the older ABI. If your application binaries are not compiled for the new EABI, you will get the kernel panic you are seeing.

0 Kudos

shahrad
Contributor I

Thanks for reply.

Excellent point, but apparently my kernel is compiled for EABI and apparenly the busybox in filesystem is also EABI, but intresting is after enabling support for ABI in kernel beside EABI then I didn't see the panic that I mentioned, but instead it hangs after "Freeing init memory" message.

BTW, as I mentioned, this kernel works with other rootfs and seems that busybox in that kernel has flags like

Flags:                             0x4000002, has entry point, Version4 EABI

and the one that make system hangs is

Flags:                             0x2, has entry point, GNU EABI

Is the GNU and Version4 makes different.

I am not sure why the tools and kernel could have different flags in header when they use the same toolchains.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos