cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KE04Z Hello World MCUXpresso SDK Issue

Jump to solution
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

I have a FRDM-KE04Z development board. I've installed the MCUXpresso and downloaded the SDK for the FRDM-KE04Z board. I imported it into the IDE without any issues.

I wanted to compile it to make sure that everything was setup correctly and I ran into a linker error. I've attached the error. It appears that it is attempting to take up to 150% of the Program Space. This is unmodified SDK from the NXP site, so maybe I imported something incorrectly.

Has anyone else seen this issue previously? Any thoughts on what might cause this from a demo SDK. Thanks for the help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht,

Seems you select the semihost console, not the UART console, semihost will consume more flash. 

Please change your SDK debug console to UART, then try it again, your issue may be solved:

pastedImage_1.png

Please check it.

If you still have issues, just kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht ,

Seems you already update the post, but I still can't see it in the post directly.

Which detail SDK project you are testing now?hello_world?

Today, I import it to my MCUXPresso IDE:

pastedImage_1.png

But you need to note, the FRDM-KE04 is the small flash, just 8KB, so you also need to check the code, if the code is really larger, it may large than the flash size.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht ,

Which SDK version you are using now?

SDK_2.8.0_FRDM-KE04Z?

If not, please try the newest SDK which can be downloaded from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select 

BTW, please also tell me which debugger you are using? CMSIS DAP or the JLINK?

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

I am using the SDK_2.8.0_FRDM-KE04Z. I will be trying to use the OpenSDA debugger when I get to that step, but right now I was just trying to compile the code right from the SDK. Any ideas why the code from the SDK (unaltered) won't fit into the device?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht,

Check my reply about the build operation on my side.

Any updated information, just kindly let me know.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

Yes, I was trying to build the Hello World example project. I understand that the flash on this device is fairly small (8KB). I made the assumption that the SDK projects would have examples that were verified to fit into the project. This might have been a bad assumption. I did try to remove parts of the code, but there is a ripple effect and the results weren't good. I want the UART interface, but it appears that I need the entire debugging code for it. At least this is where I started to try and reduce the code size.

From your screen shot, it appears that you were able to get the Hello World example to compile successfully. What code modifications did you do in order to reduce the code size? Did you remove the UART fucntionality?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht,

In fact, I just download the newest SDK, then use the MCUXPresso IDE import the helloworld project, then do nothing, the IDE didn't overflow, without any modification, that's why I ask you, whether you are using the newest SDK or not.

Do you try the SDK2.8.0, the same result even just import it?

Which MCUXpresso IDE version you are using now?  My version is: v11.1.1

Do you use the release version or the debug version in the SDK project?

The SDK code in default should not have your issues. Any modifications on your side?

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

Hi kerryzhou‌,

I have MCUXpresso v11.2.0 Build 4120. I didn't make any modifications to the Source code.

When I do the Debug build, the build report has 11652B of the 8KB used (142%).

When I do the Release build, the build report has 9292B of the 8KB used (113%).

I could look at going back to the v11.1.0 of MCUXpresso, but I don't have a need to have such a small footprint chip. It was an evaluation board that I could easily get my hands and I wanted to learn about the Kinetis devices.

I might look at the KE06Z Evaluation Board. I downloaded the SDK for it and with 128KB of Flash, the Hello World program compiles just fine for it. That Eval Board just showed up, so I might end up playing with it instead.

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht

Thanks for your information.

Anyway, I will also check the newest MCUXPresso IDE version with the newest SDK. 

At least, directly project with the new mcuxpresso IDE and the SDK should not have this issues.

If your practical usage will use larger flash, yes, I also suggest you use the larger flash MCU, eg KE06, or KE1X series.

8KB is really a little small with the larger SDK drivers.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

Thanks kerryzhou‌. If you do get a chance, please let me know how it goes. If I get a chance to try this, I will also post what I find out.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht,

Seems you select the semihost console, not the UART console, semihost will consume more flash. 

Please change your SDK debug console to UART, then try it again, your issue may be solved:

pastedImage_1.png

Please check it.

If you still have issues, just kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos
chris_lambrecht
Contributor III

Thanks kerryzhou‌. That worked. I didn't realize that this would change based upon a setting. I thought that this was taken care of in the DebugConsole() call. It builds now. Debug build uses 8132B (99%) of the device.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Lambrecht,

Glad to hear you already make it works.

If you have any questions in the future, welcome to create the new question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos