AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX 8M Quad synchronous EA on GPC access from EL0

Question asked by stefankalkowski on Jul 7, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 27, 2020 by Luis Perez

Hi all,

I currently implement an i.MX 8M platform driver for the component-based Genode OS framework. It is a microkernel architecture, and drivers are simple applications executed in EL0. I could sucessfully use the driver already to configure, e.g., the Clock Control Module (CCM). However, when I access certain registers of the General Power Controller (GPC) I receive an synchronous external data-abort. I can successfully access the general configuration registers of the same GPC MMIO region (everything in between 0x303a0000-0x303a0250), but if I read/write the Power Gating Controller (PGC) registers of any power domain (>= 0x303a0800), I encounter a synchronous EA.

The curious thing about it is whenever I do the same accesses in EL1 in the kernel, I can successfully power up/down the corresponding domains without failure. Therefore, I was suspecting some of the security modules in the SoC, like AIPSTZ1-4, or the Central Security Unit (CSU) to prohibit the EL0 access. However, they are configured by the ARM Trusted Firmware (ATF) to allow any access, also normal-world, unprivileged one. I can read those CSU and AIPSTZ registers, and see they are locked but allow any access.

Of course, I can build a work-around to either do the GPC access, or call the ATF within the kernel. However, it somehow hits the otherwise pure design.

But foremost, I would like to understand which mechanism in the SoC returns the bus-error in my use-case?

Any clarification is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Outcomes