cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCF8563 external crystal clock error and consumption current problem

chlee2
Contributor I

Hello.

I am inquiring because there is a problem with IC.

Currently we are applying PCF8563 to RTC parts.

However, there are many time errors in the RTC, so the external clock waveforms at pins 1 and 2 are measured by distortion and the current consumption at pin 8 is measured at 900 nA.
When replaced with an IC considered normal, the external clock waveform of pins 1 and 2 is measured as normal without distortion and the consumption current of pin 8 is measured at 300 nA.
It seems to be an unknown problem inside the chip, but I would like to ask if such a problem has ever been raised in PCF8563.

And let me know if there is a solution.

Currently, we only use IC that are normally measured by scope.

Please review the attached photo and reply.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, it is possible that fake ICs can be distributed in the market. I recommend you to buy your parts trough a NXP Authorized distributor (https://www.nxp.com/support/sample-and-buy/distributor-network:DISTRIBUTORS).

One of the chips on the picture you sent seems strange, it is possible it is a counterfeit part. But if you get your parts trough one of our authorized distributors, you can ask for a failure analysis. The CQC (failure analysis) needs to come directly from the distributor of the device to avoid support of counterfeit parts.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos