MIMXRT1064 + octal hyperflash support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1064 + octal hyperflash support

nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

Does the fact that the MIMXRT1064 has in-package QSPI flash mean that you cannot use external octal hyperflash with this part? (because it has one less external flexSPI interface available)

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

My question was about octal hyperflash.

You need both flexSPI to interface to octal hyperflash.

Therefore I don't think you can use external octal hyperflash + internal QSPI flash in the same software (this was my original question)

regards

-Nick

0 Kudos

Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

One flexSPI is sufficient for a Hyperflash or OctaSPI. I think you mixing it up with the A/B Channel of the flexSPI Interface where you can connect two QuadSPI memories simultaneously to one flexSPI Interface.

0 Kudos

nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

Thanks for your comments Markus.

But - if the 1064 uses the second flexSPI interface for the on-chip QSPI flash, then presumably this means that this same flexSPI interface cannot also be used for external memory? (this was my original question).

External octal hyperflash/hyperram needs BOTH flexSPI instances to work, but you can't do this if one of the flexSPI is being used for the internal QSPI flash.

regards

-Nick

0 Kudos

Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hello Nick,

true, the second flexSPI is not usable for external memory.

But the hyperflash needs only one single flexSPI interface. Compare the iMXRT1050 EVK. The 1050 has only one fleSPI Interface and is capable to work with a hyperflash.

Best regards

0 Kudos

nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

Thank you for your reply.

I thought that the RT1064 had one less FlexSPI interface available externally, like below.

Are you saying that with RT1064 you can use the internal 4MB on-chip flash AND also use external octal HyperFlash, in the same software image?

thanks

-Nick

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

Please, can you explain the differences highlighted in the red boxes?

0 Kudos

Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hello Nick,

I think it should be working perfectly fine. The 106x has two flexSPI interfaces. The 1064 uses the same die like the 1061/1062. On the 1064 the second flexSPI Interface is used for the 4 Megabytes of QSPI which is integrated in the Package. The first flexSPI is freely available – also for Hyperflash.

Check the schematics of the 1064-EVK on Page 11. You can enable the Spansion Hyperflash by soldering/removing some resistors.

Best regards

0 Kudos

fangfang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The customer can use the external memory via FLEXSPI. Please refer to the EVK i.MX RT1064 Evaluation Kit | NXP .

Hope it help you. Have a nice day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos