Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9 auto kernel compression

Jump to solution
amit251291
Contributor IV

Dear team,

We are working on imx8qm-mek platform running on Android 9 automotive. I was going through menuconfig and i found that none of the compression methods are enabled :

HAVE_KERNEL_GZIP || HAVE_KERNEL_BZIP2 || HAVE_KERNEL_LZMA || HAVE_KERNEL_XZ || HAVE_KERNEL_LZO || HAVE_KERNEL_LZ4

I checked these configs and i found (n) to each of them. 

What does this mean ? 

How can change compression method ?

How can i use decompressed kernel instead of compressed one ?

Is it good idea to use decompressed kernel for boot time optimization ?

Request you to provide some light here. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Amit,

Although there is the popular misconception that the bz prefix means that bzip2 compression is used [...], says the opposite of your theory: the bz in bzImage has no relation to bzip2, and bzImage doesn’t have to be compressed with bzip2. In fact, the kernel’s default compression mode is still gzip, and there is little reason to use bzip2 nowadays — it is slower than LZMA and xz but doesn’t compress as well.

However This mean you can change the compressed method but we have not tested. you must use the compressed one.
Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Amit,

Although there is the popular misconception that the bz prefix means that bzip2 compression is used [...], says the opposite of your theory: the bz in bzImage has no relation to bzip2, and bzImage doesn’t have to be compressed with bzip2. In fact, the kernel’s default compression mode is still gzip, and there is little reason to use bzip2 nowadays — it is slower than LZMA and xz but doesn’t compress as well.

However This mean you can change the compressed method but we have not tested. you must use the compressed one.
Regards
0 Kudos
amit251291
Contributor IV

Thank you Bio_TICFSL‌ for the explanation. I will check this out. 

0 Kudos