Errors Connecting to my Dragon12 MC9S12 Board, Can anyone help?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors Connecting to my Dragon12 MC9S12 Board, Can anyone help?

eda_support
Contributor I

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to the CodeWarrior IDE. I have a couple of HC12 boards from college that I would like to begin experimenting with. Right now I'm having a problem connecting to my board. Would anyone be able to tell me why I'm getting these error messages?

I'm going through the tutorial in the CodeWarrior help documentation. I've been able to run the sample program using the simulator.

The problem is when I get to the serial interface parameters window. As you can see, it is seeing my board on my COM1 port.

I click on "Connect (Reset)" and I get the following errors, "Communications with the target failed: The target MCU has no clock or wrong BDM clock speed is used or derivative is secured".

Can anyone tell me what this means?

After the window above, I get:

Then I get:

After that I see:

Then everything chokes!

I checked to see if I can get some sort of heartbeat from the board using the hyperterminal window in Windows XP and I can see the board is reporting something.

Here are the settings:

When I press the reset button on my board, I get the following read out.

So I know my problem is pilot error. All I need to know is what parameters I should be setting in the
"Connection Manager". Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi eda_support,

seems you are using different connection.

I assume you are using just serial RS232 cable to connect to the board.

The MCU runs D-Bug12. Unfortunately D-Bug12 is not more supported since CodeWarrior v4.5.

Anyway I'd suggest you to replace D-Bug12 firmware by SeriaMonitor (see AN2548) that is still supported in v5.0.

To do it you will need a BDM connection.

There are several threads about this topics: e.g.

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=16BITCOMM&message.id=234&query.id=27769...

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CW816COMM&message.id=2341&query.id=2776...

0 Kudos

eda_support
Contributor I

Hi Stanish,

Thank you very much for responding.

Yes, I'm using the RS232 serial cable. I've been reading  HCS12SerialMonitor_Dragon12.pdf  which explains a work around for the BDM (Background Debug Mode) interface and it also reiterates what you have suggeted. Fortunatley I have two Dragon 12 boards. I'll check the app note out you suggested.

Should I upgrade to CodeWarrior v5.0?

http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/robotics_novell/WWW_Devs/Dragon12/Examples/HCS12SerialMonitor_Dra...

Message Edited by eda_support on 2009-04-27 06:01 PM
0 Kudos

eda_support
Contributor I

Hello Everyone,

I'm going through the HCS12SerialMonitor_Dragon12.pdf document (which is specific for my board) and I'm getting stuck on the instructions described on page 11 (figure 10). I don't see that option available in my drop down menu.

Set Target Window

I ended up selecting the P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro option ( not sure if if this correct).

Drop Down Menu

And I now get stuck as I describe in the first thread.

I tried to use AppNote recommended but it was to general. Being a novice, I'd like to understand the fundumentals before I move on to AN2548

Message Edited by eda_support on 2009-04-27 08:55 PM
Message Edited by eda_support on 2009-04-27 08:57 PM
0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For a HC12 Serial monitor, pick "Serial Monitor" in the list (at least I saw that entry in the CW for HC12 4.7 version) :smileyhappy:,

this automatically picks the right DLL, which is a manual next step in the pdf you referred too.

If you want to use the generic gdi protocol, a "set gdi" command from the command window offers this setup, but it is no longer needed for most (all?) of the use cases.

The P&E connection is to connect to a P&E pod, not to a serial monitor so I would not expect this to work.

Daniel

0 Kudos

eda_support
Contributor I

Hey CompilerGuru,

I'll try to use "Serial Monitor" next time it's available. I've been playing around with Dragon12 specific examples and I've found these have different options available in the drop down menu (see below).

Drop Down Menu

"Simulator" simply simulates the code without loading on to the board. "Monitor" acutally loads it to the board and allows real time stepping or running of the code (awesome!).

debug

So is it the "DLL" which allows the drop down menu to change??????

0 Kudos

eda_support
Contributor I

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on this. It appears there is something different with this example I'm trying to use. I changed it to a different LCD example and it was able to communicate and download to the board. The CodeWarrior Debug interface also works. I'm not sure what is wrong with my initial project but the led_test seemed to work fine.

0 Kudos