Error log files are huge and eating up space

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error log files are huge and eating up space

nathanb1
Contributor II

I have been trying to learn how to update my old BSPs to the latest kernel and u-boot, etc. Recently my build server that has terabytes of space was getting filled up. I have found that my error logs (for a u-boot do_compile error) were being created at about 20-30GB a piece, and since I wasn't getting any useful information from the screen print (it wasn't even telling me logs were being created) I had a bunch. 

What causes these huge error logs?

What can I do to stop them from being so big?

I am happy to provide any additional data if needed. 

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
4 Replies

nathanb1
Contributor II

I found a short list of bitbake options and using the -v (verbose) option I can see what is happening. While it was too quick to capture the last couple of actions prior to this, it just starts repeating 

Text Base (SYS_TEXT_BASE) [] (NEW)
Error in reading or end of file.

It does this for several minutes before failing and I assume it is this repeated message that is filling up the log file. 

It looks like this is probably some u-boot _defconfig option I am missing or have incorrect for the latest u-boot (2019.04). 

Cheers-

Nathan

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Nathan Binford,

Can you let us know on which Yocto/Linux version you are facing this error? And what are the steps you followed that gave you this error?

One can face such an issue when tries to copies defconfig directly to uboot/configs. 

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos

nathanb1
Contributor II

Hi Karan,

Thank you for responding.

I am using the i.MX_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide 5.4.3_1.0.0 steps initially but attempting to update our BSP which was 4.9.88_1.0.0 and U-boot 2017. I think you have it correct, I had tried to use our previous u-boot defconfig files to update to 2019 u-boot. After I went back to using our 2017 repository for u-boot I was able to get the image built (both imx-image-core and imx-image-full) with at least the 5.4.3 kernel. 

So I guess now my question is - can I update from what we had already configured in u-boot 2017 to u-boot 2019 and if so how? Or how can I find the differences between u-boot 2019 and 2017 so I can make the necessary updates to our repository with a new branch?

Thanks again!

Nathan

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Nathan Binford,

For kernel and u-boot porting you can refer to the i.MX Porting Guide for L5.4.3_1.0.0 from the link. It will be difficult to get the difference until and unless you use meld or diff between the two source code.

Regards,

Karan Gajjar