cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow CodeWarrior IDE with Ethernet

Jump to solution
akaustav
Contributor I

I have a rather interesting (and weird) problem in CodeWarrior on my PC. Everytime I use CodeWarrior with my Local Area Network (Ethernet) connection on, CodeWarrior responds rather slowly. It mostly seems frozen for multiple short duration of time. It is slow when I open it (23 seconds, I timed it), freezes many times for short durations when I type in code in the editor, is slow when I make and is slow during debugging also.

When I do the same turning off my Local Area Network (Ethernet) connection (by either pulling the jack out or disabling it from Networks and Dial-up connections window), all of the above steps work just fine, taking appropriate amouts of time (eg. opening CodeWarrior takes 3 seconds). I can't really tell if this is a problem in CodeWarrior or my PC's ethernet connection. Other programs seem to work fine with/without ethernet turned on. The weird part is that this problem doesn't occur on another PC with the same configurations and the same CodeWarrior installed.

I have CodeWarrior Development studio for Microcontrollers V6.2 Release, build 8127 with CodeWarrior Development studio for Microcontrollers V6.2.1 Compiler Patch, build 8205 installed. My PC configurations are:

Processor: Intel Pentium , 1.80 GHz

RAM: 512 MB

Ameet Kaustav

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi akaustav,

This may be caused by the fact CodeWarrior is checking the license file on the network drive.

I'd suggest you to check system variable LM_LICENSE_FILE. (e.g. type "set LM_LICENSE_FILE" in Windows terminal window).

if it includes some network paths you can either delete it (in case you don't use any other application licensed via FlexLM) or add path to your CodeWarrior license.dat as a very first path in LM_LICENSE_FILE. This should avoid checking the license on the network.

Stanish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi akaustav,

This may be caused by the fact CodeWarrior is checking the license file on the network drive.

I'd suggest you to check system variable LM_LICENSE_FILE. (e.g. type "set LM_LICENSE_FILE" in Windows terminal window).

if it includes some network paths you can either delete it (in case you don't use any other application licensed via FlexLM) or add path to your CodeWarrior license.dat as a very first path in LM_LICENSE_FILE. This should avoid checking the license on the network.

Stanish

0 Kudos
akaustav
Contributor I

Hi Stanish,

Yes, it was indeed a LM_LICENSE_FILE problem. Probably it was there because I used other products like Quartus and ModelSim. I deleted the system variable and CodeWarrior has started working fine now (at least it is starting faster now). Thank you.

Anyway, since I am using the Special Edition (which is downloadable free of cost), I am not pretty sure where the CodeWarriror license.dat file is located. After a little search, I found a license.dat located at C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.2\license.dat. Is this the license.dat file that CodeWarrior uses? If it is, then do you recommend:

1. I re-create the system variable LM_LICENSE_FILE and add this path as the value to this variable?

- or -

2. I leave it as it is and CodeWarrior automatically searches this file and starts working?

Ameet Kaustav

0 Kudos
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

akaustav,

Actually when CodeWarrior starts it first tries to find the license in the paths stored in LM_LICENSE_FILE. If the appropriate license feature is not found there it then checks its own install. directory.

So basically if you don't have any other application that uses LM_LICENSE_FILE you can leave as it is.

If you plan to use also other apps. which requires LM_LICENSE_FILE variable and their license will not be stored on local drive I'd suggest you rather to add "C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.2\license.dat" as the first item in LM_LICENSE_FILE.

Stanish

0 Kudos