Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW36 Bluetooth Address

Jump to solution
lukas_berger
Contributor II

Hello,

sorry that I am asking that question again. I know it was discussed in other Post in this Forum, but I never seen an answer that answers my question to 100%.

So, my question is. Do I have to purchase a MAC-Address (Bluetooth-Address) from the IEEE when I want to sell a Product with the MKW36A Controller to have a unique Identifier. Because the Information’s that I have is that NXP programs a 40 Bit address at production and it is not a complete 48 Bit Unique address.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Lukas

Labels (3)
1 Solution
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lukas,

Do I have to purchase a MAC-Address (Bluetooth-Address) from the IEEE when I want to sell a Product with the MKW36A Controller to have a unique Identifier?

Yes, you have to acquire a range of addresses from the IEEE and you will have assigned an OUI you could send your product with a specific address.

Regards,

Mario

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lukas,

Do I have to purchase a MAC-Address (Bluetooth-Address) from the IEEE when I want to sell a Product with the MKW36A Controller to have a unique Identifier?

Yes, you have to acquire a range of addresses from the IEEE and you will have assigned an OUI you could send your product with a specific address.

Regards,

Mario

lukas_berger
Contributor II

Hi Mario,

thanks for the quick and clear answer.

Du you have any advice or recommendations on wich software I should use to generate and manage the addresses?
And how I can program this addresses in to the Controller the easiest way without changing the address manually ever time by my self.

Regards,
Lukas

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lukas,

We do not provide software that could help you to program the MAC address.

However, you could implement other routines. as you know the next document explains how we programmed the Unique MAC Address. https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12272.pdf 

3.1 Uniqueness

40-bit MAC address ensures uniqueness and tracks the device ID with the unique value associated for that device. NXP guarantees no duplication across the Kinetis Wireless connectivity devices for the unique 40-bit MAC address for the first 2^40 shipped microcontrollers.

You could use your OUI that was assigned and then use these 40 bits that are unique for the KW36.

Note: If we achieve the 2^40 shipped microcontrollers, we are going to start again with this sequence number, we can not warranty that it won't be only for one chip forever.

We recommend that look at the ControllerSetBD_ADDR(void) function in the ble_controller_task.c

-You could implement your own routine to set up the bd_address with your OUI direction

-You could save with an external programmer in the gHardwareParameters, the variable 

uint8_t  bluetooth_address[6];     /* Bluetooth address */

So, you have to set up the offset and save the address and in the ControllerSetBD_ADDR will read out that value and copy to the gBD_ADDR.

Regards,

Mario