cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to getting started on FRDM-KW36

sihanchen
Contributor III

Hello ~ 

I am working on FRDM-KW36 development board and use (frdmkw36_wireless_examples_bluetooth_w_uart_freerots) SDK to build code and by MCUXpresso IDE. 

Question : 

Q1 : How to enable debug UART/console for prinrf ? 

If I use UART to print debug message on terminal which hardware pin are uart_tx and uart_rx? 

Q2 : How to modify FRDM-KW36's UUID and pairing to connect with peripheral?  

Thanks. 

1 Reply

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sihan, I hope you're doing well!

1. There's two methods for enabling the Debug UART in the MCUXpresso IDE:
    1. It can be enabled when importing the project by choosing the following option in the example selection window:
      pastedImage_5.png
    2. After the example project is imported, the debug UART can be enabled by selecting this option in the Quick Start Panel on the MCUXpresso IDE:
      pastedImage_4.png
      Regardless of which method is followed to enable the debug UART, the pins used for it (FC0_RXD is GPIOA17 and FC0_TXD is GPIOA16) are mapped to the Debug USB port, which allows the user to connect to the debug UART with the same USB cable used to debug the project.
  2. The role of the QN9080 in the wireless UART example can be changed by pressing SW2 on the development board. By default, in the current SDK version, the Wireless UART SDK example starts using the Central role, and by pressing SW1, the app starts scanning.

UUID's can be changed in the gatt_uuid128.h header file, and the GATT database can be edited in the gatt_db.h header file.

Pairing and bonding can be enabled by changing the following macro definitions in the app_preinclude.h header file:

/*! Enable/disable use of bonding capability */
#define gAppUseBonding_d   1

/*! Enable/disable use of pairing procedure */
#define gAppUsePairing_d   1

For more information, could you please take a look at the documentation included in the SDK package in the following path?:

<…\SDK_2.2.1_QN908XCDK\docs\wireless\Bluetooth>

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,

Sebastian