Can't Build L4.14.78_1.0.0 for i.MX 8M Mini EVK?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Build L4.14.78_1.0.0 for i.MX 8M Mini EVK?

Jump to solution
stephen_eng
Contributor III

I would like to rebuild the 4.14.78_1.0.0 Yocto Linux image for my i.MX 8M Mini EVK. The reason is I could go and make custom changes as needed for my application. I know that the current Linux image that I have on my i.MX 8M Mini EVK is 4.14.78_1.0.0.

Now, I found this document with instructions on how to build an i.MX Yocto Linux image: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMXLXYOCTOUG.pdf 

Since this is for a different version of the image, I just went through and make substitutions, as it made sense, like:

• Changing 'imx-linux-rocko' with 'imx-linux-sumo'
  • Changing '4.9.88-2.0.0' with '4.14.78_1.0.0'

My Yocto Project recipe manifest looks like this:

repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-sumo -m imx-4.14.78-1.0.0_ga.xml

Which matches what's in the L4.14.78_1.0.0_ga_images.MX8MMEVK.zip file. (So, I think I'm on the right track.)

When I get to the point where I run the 'fsl-setup-release.sh' script, I type in:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mqevk ./fsl-setup-release.sh -b build

But fails because it doesn't know about the machine that I entered in ('imx8mqevk' isn't quite the right one for the i.mx 8M mini, but it's the only imx8 listed in the document.)

Doing my own investigative work, it looks like that there isn't any imx8 .conf file for the 'sumo' branch, looking at the meta-freescale branch: meta-freescale/conf/machine at sumo · Freescale/meta-freescale · GitHub 

There does seem to be 'imx8mmevk' support on the 'warrior' branch however. Should that work? Am I understanding this correctly? (I am new to the Yocto project.) And lastly, how did NXP post an 'imx8mmevk' build of 'sumo' when it doesn't look like that ever worked together...? Or am I just doing something horrible wrong with trying to rebuild 4.14.78_1.0.0?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

About build the 4.14.78_1.0.0  BSP you can refer to our i.MX_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide document. There are details steps you can see. Any questions you can contact us.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

About build the 4.14.78_1.0.0  BSP you can refer to our i.MX_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide document. There are details steps you can see. Any questions you can contact us.

0 Kudos
stephen_eng
Contributor III

Thanks for the reference to the Yocto Project User's Guide. I had stumbled upon that and was using it as a starting point.

I would like to know if I'm on the right track in building this image, especially since I'm new to Yocto.

I'm making several assumptions while I'm going through this process. Regarding the prebuilt image referred to here (Get Started with the i.MX 8M Mini EVK | NXP ), I'm assuming that:

1. I'm running 'imx-linux-sumo' with '4.14.78_1.0.0', the 'ga' version
  2. I'm configuring the build for 'MACHINE=imx8mmevk' and 'DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland'
  3. I'm building the 'fsl-image-validation-imx' Yocto project image.

This build process takes a really, really long time... I just want to make sure I'm doing it right before wasting too much time down the wrong path.

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, the compile will take a long time.

0 Kudos
stephen_eng
Contributor III

Or... maybe I'm just an idiot...

I hadn't run the 'setup-environment' script prior to running the 'fsl-setup-release.sh' script. It's building for me now....

I'll keep you posted whether the image seems to work or not

0 Kudos