MCUXpresso can't find JLink debugger

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso can't find JLink debugger

jeffthompson
Contributor V

I've just upgraded to MCUXpresso 11.1.1, and to Segger JLink 6.63e. Now, MCUXpresso can't find the JLink debugger. I get this message when I try to debug:

No compatible probes available. They may be disabled, disconnected, not powered, already in use or not compatible with this target.

I've tried uninstalling MCUXpresso (which, by the way, takes many hours to complete!) and re-installing, but I get the same result. I can run JLink from the command line with no problem, including connecting to my target hardware. Ican also use JFlash to erase flash and program program it. The program flashed this way does run correctly.

Here's what I get in the console window when I try to add a JLink debug configuration and then debug with it:

[08-3-2020 09:47:58] Executing Server: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink\JLink.exe" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB -jlinkscriptfile C:\Users\jthompson\Documents\Workspace\F1721_IR4_KAS\.mcuxpressoide_packages_support\MIMXRT1062xxxxA_support/Script/evkmimxrt1060_sdram_init.jlinkscript -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -port 2331 -vd -device MIMXRT1062xxx6A -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.62d (Compiled Mar 2 2020 09:23:14)
DLL version V6.62d, compiled Mar 2 2020 09:22:41

Unknown command line option -nosilent.

Server has been shut down.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Could you please let me know the J-Link debugger you are using on your side and the firmware used by the debugger? Is it really 6.63e? You mentioned this at first and I would like to confirm.

It's true that MCUXpresso 11.1.1 is compatible with version 6.62d.

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

jeffthompson
Contributor V

I’ve tried both 6.62d and 6.63e without success. I then went to the extreme of uninstalling both JLink and MCUXpresso, rebooting my PC, then re-installing MCUXpresso alone (which does, of course do its own installation of JLink 6.62d); again, this was unsuccessful.

Uninstalling MCUXpreso takes several hours; I have no idea why, but I don’t want to repeat this step if at all possible.

I’m now doing my debugging Segger Ozone 2.70e, which works just fine.

Jeff Thompson | Senior Electrical Engineer-Firmware

+1 704 752 6513 x1394

www.invue.com

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff,

Please check the below community document that explains how to Update SEGGER J-Link installation on MCUXpresso.

https://community.nxp.com/community/mcuxpresso/mcuxpresso-ide/blog/2019/07/08/updating-a-segger-j-li... 

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

jeffthompson
Contributor V

The description and screenshot are a little out-of-date, but I did find the setting, which pointed to the correct location. I’m still getting this error:

I also get this:

even though I select the server:

Which is why I’ve given up on the IDE for debugging and am now using Ozone. By the way, KDS 3.0.0 still works just fine.

Jeff Thompson | Senior Electrical Engineer-Firmware

+1 704 752 6513 x1394

www.invue.com

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

The release notes for 11.1.1 say

• Upgraded to a later version of the SEGGER J-Link software (v6.62d)

so perhaps there is a compatibility issue with 6.63?

0 Kudos

jeffthompson
Contributor V

Uninstalled both SEGGER JLink and MCUXpresso, then re-installed MCUXpresso. No difference. Here some additinoal debug information from the "Problem Ocurred" dialog box that opens when I try to debug:

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote localhost:2331

Error message from debugger back end:
localhost:2331: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote localhost:2331

Error message from debugger back end:
localhost:2331: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I've also confirmed that SEGGER is installed in the correct folder. I think MCUXpresso actually finds and tries to run it, because I see the console window has this

[09-3-2020 06:33:43] Executing Server: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink\JLink.exe" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=504503700 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed auto -port 2331 -vd -device MIMXRT1062xxx6A -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction
SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.62d (Compiled Mar 2 2020 09:23:14)
DLL version V6.62d, compiled Mar 2 2020 09:22:41

Unknown command line option -nosilent.

Server has been shut down.

0 Kudos

jeffthompson
Contributor V

If you look at the console log, it says it's 6.62d. nevertheless, I'll uninstall JLink and MCUXpresso, then reinstall MCUXpresso and try again.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Kudos