cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of i.MX8mq and i.MX8 processor for image capture

chandresh_tank
Contributor II

Hello, 

In our medical product, we have a IMX334 camera which is capturing bayer RAW image with variable resolution and is sending data to i.mx8 on MIPI-CSI.

Pipeline: 

1. i.MX8 series processor(8mq or 8) will do debayering, Noise Reduction, White Balance the Histogram equalization on the captured feed using the ISP.  
  2. i.MX8 will encode the feed and send it to an android phone over network interface. 

Regarding performance,

Will the i.MX8mq or i.MX8 processor will be able to do all the image processing operations shown in point. 1 and 2 on 2160 x 2160 image resolution and will we be able to achieve 30 fps? 

if the processor is not able to provide 2160 x 2160, Will the processor be able to process the image with 1080 x 1080 resolution for 30 fps? 

Also, I understand that above mentioned are the custom resolutions, So does the ISP and encoder supports custom resolutions or it only supports standard resolutions?

Thanks in advance, 

Chandresh

0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chandresh

for theoretical performance one can look at MIPI CSI Subsystem Chapter

of processors Reference Manual, also additional file was sent you via mail.

In general both i.MX8MQ and i.MX8 can theoretically capture 4K30. As there is

no hardware ISP, software ISP can be used for convertion RAW formats using OpenCL:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12060.pdf 

Unfortunately I am not aware of tested perfomance characteristics using debayering, encoding.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

chandresh_tank
Contributor II

Hello Igor, 

Thank you for responding quickly.

I read the application notes of softisp but the performance numbers are for GPU and their read/write characteristics. 

Can you tell us how much fps at what resolution the softISP can perform using standard streaming tools? If such data is not available, Can you tell us how i can test softISP's performance? Do you have any tools other than the OpenCL's softISP application, As softISP application is only acting on one raw frames and i am not able to calculate the performance numbers with it. 

Chandresh

0 Kudos