Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding using the IOMUX?

Jump to solution
nxp16
Contributor III

According to the I.MX RT1060 Reference Manual, section 10.3:

The IOMUX consists of a number (about the number of pads in the SoC) of basic
iomux_cell units. If only one functional mode is required for a specific pad, there is no
need for IOMUX and the signals can be connected directly from the module to the I/O.
The IOMUX cell is required whenever two or more functional modes are required for a
specific pad or when one functional mode and the one test mode are required.

Note the bold section I highlighted.  Every example I've ever seen uses the IOMUX.  How do you connect a signal directly without the IOMUX?  I don't ever plan to use pads for multiple functions or for test and function at the same time.

Thanks,

-m

Labels (1)
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike Moretti,

So, you need to check the pad which you are using, whether it is just one function or not.

Take the SDK led_blinky code as an example, it is using the GPIO_AD_B0_09 as the GPIO pin, so you need to check the GPIO_AD_B0_09 pin, whether it is just one function or not.

pastedImage_1.png

You can find it has a lot of functions, and the default function is ALT0:

pastedImage_2.png

So, you need to configure the IOMUXC.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike Moretti,

So, you need to check the pad which you are using, whether it is just one function or not.

Take the SDK led_blinky code as an example, it is using the GPIO_AD_B0_09 as the GPIO pin, so you need to check the GPIO_AD_B0_09 pin, whether it is just one function or not.

pastedImage_1.png

You can find it has a lot of functions, and the default function is ALT0:

pastedImage_2.png

So, you need to configure the IOMUXC.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
nxp16
Contributor III

I'm still confused.  The paragraph in the manual makes it sound like if the developer doesn't need to use a pad for multiple things there is some mechanism for using it directly without IOMUX.   But from what it seems like you're saying if the pad itself has multiple functions you have to use IOMUX whether or not the developer is not using more than one of the functions (and if the pad itself only has one function then you don't have to use IOMUX)?

-m

0 Kudos