Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN7462AU NFC Reader/Writer ↔ Android HCE App Communication

Jump to solution
autoever1leka
Contributor I

Good day, 

I tried to transfer/receive NFC data between NFC Reader/Writer and NFC Tag, but it is not working well. If you know the answer to the question, please answer. 

Below is the setup details,
1. Hardware: PN7462AU
2. SDK: PN7462AU-FW_v05.21.00
3. IDE: MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.0

NFC Reader/Writer's specific setting is below,

- Hardware : PN7462AU

- Used SDK example : PN7462AU_ex_phExMain

- NFC Mode : R/W

- NFC Type : Type 4A

NFC Tag's specific setting is below,

- Hardware : General Android phone (I'm using Samsung Galaxy S10)

- NFC Mode : Host Card Emulation (HCE)

- NFC Type : Type 4A

I made Android application operating HCE mode, and tagging with NFC Reader/Writer. But It's not working. NFC Reader/Writer cannot recognize the App in HCE mode. App's operation is successful. I tested my HCE App with the other android reader App.

Question 1) How can the NFC Reader/Writer recognize the App in HCE mode?

Question 2) Is it correct to use the phExMain example to communicate with Android in HCE mode?

- If the answer is yes, how do I implement a program?

- If the answer is no, which SDK example should I build on? Is there an SDK that I can reference in my implementation?

Before I made android HCE App, I tried to make NFC Tag with the other PN7462AU using NfcrdlibEx8_HCE_T4T SDK. HCE_T4T means HCE Mode Type 4A Tag. In short, Good communication between NFC Reader/Writer using PN7462AU_ex_phExMain and NFC Tag using NfcrdlibEx8_HCE_T4T. However, if I change the HCE mode app , it does not become recognition itself. 

Question 3) Does the HCE_T4T example really work in HCE mode? 

This is main question

Question 4) How should the PN7462AU(NFC Reader/Writer) and Android(NFC Tag with HCE mode) communicate with NFC?

If anyone knows the answer to your question, please reply.

If you have any question, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

- If the App can make the phone in HCE mode to simulate as a NFC tag/card, the reader can recognize it.

Question 2) Is it correct to use the phExMain example to communicate with Android in HCE mode?

-Yes, it is correct. this demo provides examples on read and write operations on NFC tags.

-Yes, it does. If you use Android App such as TagInfo, you may have the following results with HCE_T4T example:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Question 4) How should the PN7462AU(NFC Reader/Writer) and Android(NFC Tag with HCE mode) communicate with NFC?

-Actually I don't have an App makes my phone in HCE mode, but when play with phExMain and HCE_T4T examples, they works as expected.

pastedImage_4.png

so it should be ok for phExMain with any HCE device, but I am not sure if your App make your phone as a NDEF formatted tag, maybe you can check it on your side with the TagInfo App running on another phone.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
autoever1leka
Contributor I

Hi, Kan Li

Thank you for reply!

I tested it your way, and the result was the same as you.

However, phExMain can't recognize HCE mode NFC Tag App in Adroid.

So I think

① phExMain SDK can't recognize HCE mode

② HCE_T4T SDK is not HCE mode

That's why I asked Question 4) How should the PN7462AU(NFC Reader/Writer) and Android(NFC Tag with HCE mode) communicate with NFC?

Anyway, I sincerely thank you for checking phExMain SDK support HCE mode and HCE_T4T SDK runs in HCE mode.

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

- If the App can make the phone in HCE mode to simulate as a NFC tag/card, the reader can recognize it.

-Yes, it is correct. this demo provides examples on read and write operations on NFC tags.

-Yes, it does. If you use Android App such as TagInfo, you may have the following results with HCE_T4T example:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

-Actually I don't have an App makes my phone in HCE mode, but when play with phExMain and HCE_T4T examples, they works as expected.

pastedImage_4.png

so it should be ok for phExMain with any HCE device, but I am not sure if your App make your phone as a NDEF formatted tag, maybe you can check it on your side with the TagInfo App running on another phone.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos