AnsweredAssumed Answered

LSDK 19.09 issues

Question asked by mrybaizine@rdlcom.com on Feb 11, 2020

1. ubuntu:Lite doesn't work.  

2. yocto:tiny  has issues as well.

3. All Ubuntu distros  have Ethernet eno0 issue  which you can't fix (the way NXP says by bringing eno0 down/up. )

It needs to unplug/plug Ethernet cable for my LS1028ardb. 

NXP says :  use generic driver !  

Did I choose LS1028ardb to use generic driver so the switch and TSN will not work ???

4. Buildroot based OpenIL  has very old openssl _1.0 , so, https will not work with any modern web browser. 

5. So far, there is no small size distro for SOCs without GPU like 1027 to use in production.

Flash memory footprint. Flashing time in production. Updating the image over-the-air  in the field. 

is a problem  because actual memory footprint is huge

6. When NXP says yocto:devel is 370MB  they mean compressed rootfs targz file .  The SD image is 1.2GB

7.  You can't add your own apps to yocto:tiny or ubuntu:lite  (I didn't check other distors ) 

8.  You can't add openssl to  yocto:tiny or ubuntu:lite  (I didn't check other distros without openssl ) 

9. It looks like Flex-builder has bugs but NXP  insists on using "THE PROCEDURE"

You can't add your own apps or some other pkgs  as openssl  for yocto:tiny and some other distros simply by

adding "openssl" variable to "IMAGE_INSTALL_append" in configs/yocto/local_arm64_tiny.conf.

Flex-builder is a script , so , in case with your own apps or openssl

it is not working because openssl makefile installs  openssl directory to /usr/local/ssl .

You can see that in source directory :

flexbuild_lsdk_1909/build/apps/components_arm64_yocto/usr/local   

but   it will not appear in destination directory :

flexbuild_lsdk_1909/build/rfs/rootfs_yocto_tiny 

because flex-builder changes paths regardless pkg makefile install paths.

yocto:devel works fine because Flex-builder has a separate branch in build_distro_rfs_yocto()  function which doesn't change any install path for yocto:devel. It will  copy everything as is   from source to destination. 

Lets look  at the functions inside the flex-builder script
1. build_distro_rfs_yocto()  
It says: if [ $DISTROSCALE = tiny ]; then  - all paths are hardcoded for particular apps ONLY,   but

openssl  and  your own apps are not among them !
My apps don't appear in the destination rootfs because my makefile install them to /user/local and usr/local/lib.

So, I had to change my makefile install paths and  hardcode those paths for my app in similar way:
[ -f $DESTDIR/usr/bin/myApp ] && sudo cp -f $DESTDIR/usr/bin/myApp $RFSDIR/usr/bin ....  and..  $RFSDIR/usr/lib

2. merge_components() function doesn't have a branch for yocto at all. The default actions ruin proper installation for custom apps if the app install path is not usr/bin  and usr/lib

Outcomes