cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Placing the part MPXV6115VC6U

dineshrrvd
Contributor I

Hi all,

I need to place the pressure transducer MPXV6115VC6U so in what ways i can place my components is there any specified direction to place the component with detailed explanation.

Itt would be more helpful if it is picture mode.

Thank you,

R.Dinesh.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

There are no limitation in terms of the placement in the PCB of the MPXV6115V pressure sensors, but you need to take care in other aspects like how to mounted in the PCB or how to solder it, there are few documents about how to this properly, you can find them in the following links:

AN1984, Handling Pressure Sensors: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN1984.pdf

AN3950, Soldering recommendations: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN3150.pdf

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos

dineshrrvd
Contributor I

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your response. The thing i need to know is, in what direction ii need to place the component, whether i can place it inside a cylindrical pipe and close it.

thank you.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

MPXV6115VC6U is a vacuum/gauge pressure sensor, which means that the reference of the sensor is the local atmospheric pressure, so, if you place the complete sensor inside the cylindrical pipe and close it, you will not be able to measure since the pressure reference will be the same as the pressure on the measurement port. So, for your application the preferred placement is to leave the body of the sensor outside the pipe and only the measurement port inside the cylindrical pipe and close it.

As an additional lecture, I recommend you to take a look at the application note AN4007: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4007.pdf

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

dineshrrvd
Contributor I

Hi jose,

Thank you for your response.

There are two ports in the package port 1 & port2

pastedImage_1.png

I indicated in red arrow.

The P1 is placed facing the pressure side.

whether P2 should be placed in atmospheric pressure that is whether we need to leave a vent for P2, because we will cover the port P2 using some material to our convinience.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

If you cover port P2, sealing it, you will create a chamber of air to an unknown pressure, then whatever pressure is inside this chamber will be the reference for the measurement. The ideal ‘placement’ would be P1 is placed facing the pressure side and P2 open to the local atmospheric pressure.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

dineshrrvd
Contributor I

Hi jose,

Without sealing it, then how can I protect the sensor and PCB board.

Thanks,

Dinesh

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Dinesh,

If not sealing it is not an option, then I would rather recommend you to use an absolute pressure sensor. This kind of sensors have 2 ports as any other NXP pressure sensor, the difference is that you can only access 1 of the ports (measurement port), while port 2 (reference port) is already sealed to a known pressure using an internal sealed chamber.

Using this kind of sensors, you can place the sensor inside your cylindrical pipe and close it.

Part numbers of this kind of devices can be found in the following datasheet: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPXA6115A.pdf

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

dineshrrvd
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

That part that you sugessted is not meeting my requirement.

We need to measure pressure 0 to -100 kpa but these part are ranging

between 15 to115kpa.

Whether MPXV6115V port 2 can be sealed while manufacturing.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Dinesh,

Correct, all the absolute pressure sensors are not capable of measuring pressure in the range between 0 and 15kPa, all start their measurement starting on 15kPa.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to seal the pressure sensor on NXP fabric during manufacturing, you can discuss with a nxp sales representative (via authorized distributor) to create a custom made pressure sensor, but, this would depend on the opportunity, you would need to promise at least over million of sensors to create a custom made part.  

What you can do it seal port 2 on your own, this will create a sealed chamber of air to an unknown pressure, you will need to do testing to determine the pressure of this chamber.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos